005. The First Night of Collaboration

"Grian, I didn't think you were coming in today. I brought you coffee," Mumbo's voice echoed in Grian's empty classroom, interrupting his phone-scrolling trance. Upon acknowledging Mumbo's arrival, Grian straightened up in his seat and adjusted the glasses sitting on his nose.

"Thanks, Mumbo," Grian replied, his tiredness evident though he still smiled softly. Mumbo handed him the medium-sized cup and Grian took a drink swiftly.

The raven-haired lifted an eyebrow, "I thought you took the rest of the week off. Why come in on a Friday?" Mumbo inquired, puzzled by Grian's presence on the last day of the week.

Grian shrugged, "Students have a test. I wanted to be here instead of having a substitute. And it's better than sitting at home doing nothing." he admits

"Oh." Mumbo's lips formed the word soundlessly, his tongue clicking in concern. "Scar's been worried about you," he admits, catching Grian's attention.

"Really?" Grian's eyebrow lifts with curiosity. "What for?"

"Well," Mumbo's voice takes on a more serious tone, "we've been trying to reach out to you, checking in to see how you're holding up, but you never respond to our calls..." His words trail off, leaving Grian feeling a twinge of embarrassment at the gentle reprimand.

"Sorry," Grian offers simply, setting his coffee aside.

"No need to apologize, I understand," Mumbo reassures him. "But can I ask if there's been any progress?"

Grian takes a deep breath before replying, his exhale punctuating his words. "Yeah, they found security camera footage of him walking along his usual route after work, but he vanishes about 8 to 10 minutes away from home. The cameras didn't capture anything, he just... disappeared."

Mumbo's expression turns serious. "Do you think someone took him?"

Grian's brow furrows, and he nods slowly.

Concern etches Mumbo's features as he carefully chooses his words, mindful of Grian's aversion to pity. "They'll find him. After all, it's a lead detective, I feel like finding him would be their main focus," he reassures.

"I hope so," Grian replies softly, the silence stretching before being interrupted by the arrival of students for class.

As Mumbo spots the students, he realizes it's time to go, allowing Grian to prepare for his lesson. "I'm going to go. Please try to check our messages, both mine and Scar's," he requests.

Grian nods as Both men exchange smiles, and then Mumbo leaves without further ado.

Despite appreciating his friends' reassurance, Grian couldn't shake the feeling of responsibility weighing heavily on him. He felt a duty to find Jimmy—for Scott, for his parents, and for himself. Deep down, Grian held onto hope, knowing Jimmy was still out there somewhere, alive. And he knew he might be the only one capable of finding him if it was as serious as it was heading.

As the chatter of the class filled the room, Grian blinked, realizing it was time to begin. Glancing at his watch—9:15—he steeled himself. With furrowed brows and a pained expression, he stood up from his desk to go close the door, determined to start class as best he could without succumbing to his emotions.

As the evening wore on, tension mounted for Grian, making him reflect his recent decisions.

Did he truly want to be a sidekick?

Aware that the role he was offered was optional, and that if wanted to he could find Jimmy on his own, something about the archer's fondness for him ignited a spark of dare within Grian. Compelling him to embrace the risk of ultimately being betrayed.