Chapter 34

Aiden sat down on a bench just between the food court and the fair rides section of the Hearts festival. His rigt hand contuined to hold his cross rubbing his thumb print against the engraving. He kept looking down at said jewelry charm as if it could magically bring him comfort but, that wasn't the case at the moment. John returned holding a small, white paper bag with a hotdog inside and another but,shorter with a blueberry cream filled bun that had a heart drawn on top made of blueberry flavoured and blue coloured icing. The uncle tapped his nephew on the shoulder pulling Aiden's attention away from his cross. Dory didn't wait for permission to sit down but, he did wait for Aiden's reaction to food as he offered it.

Floyd stood right to the bench keeping an eye out for Thomas, Branch and Poppy. He slowly paced back and forth while letting John take the lead on Aiden's comfort. Was John Dory the most comforting out of all them? No but, he was decent enough to consider Aiden's needs and be the best uncle he could be. Aiden stared at the options before him then glanced at his Uncle John straightening his back. Hesitantly he reached out for the hotdog but, then a memory that Aiden was once fond of started to play.

Flashback:

2 years ago...

Aiden got comfortable tossing his legs over the black leather couch he borrowed from the storage room contianing his Grandpa Noah's old furniture. Feet daggled off into the air but, the teen Prince didn't care how unconventional his choosen sitting method was. Lowering his back he tucked his empty hands behind his head using them as substitute pillow. Sage walked in through the wide open door then tossed a  brown paper bag which Aiden quickly raised his arm for and caught with no hesitation.

" Nice Couch. " Sage commented taking a seat on the matching armchair.

" Thanks. My Grandma was just about to toss it in storage for eternity but, I asked and boom! Got it just like that. " Aiden rotated hismelf into sitting up more normally kickinh his feet on the coffee table.

Sage raised an eyebrow. " You chose to get a hand me down?"

" Yeah cause my Grandpa had good taste. Duh!" Aiden joked. 

Sage laughed pulling out a second brown bag from his hair with glitter rubbing off onto it. He watched as his best friend opened his own paper bag checking what was inside. Aiden smiled taking out the hotdog that was wrapped up in tinfoil. The Royal unwrapped it then opened every sweet berry source packet pouring it on top.

" Thanks, bro. " Aiden opened his mouth wide bringing the tip of the hotdog into his mouth.

Sage whistled teasingly. " Your really gonna take the whole thing in like that?"

" I'm trying to eat over here!" Aiden laughed lowering the meal. 

" Whatever. Won't be the first time you took on a sausage head on. " Sage joked.

" And people think I'm the only with a dirty mind in this friendship. " Aiden sassed calmly.

Once the flashback ended Aiden paused then redirected his hand towards the bun. What was once a fun memory turned bittersweet and now it was just bitter. Sage never sexually commented on him eating a bun in the past so at least he wouldn't have anything to remember while eating it. Grasping the white paper the Blue blood took it bringing the treat closer to his lips. John looked away not wanting to make his nephew feel like he was being watched as he ate. Floyd stopped pacing glancing at Aiden briefly then  looked spotting his youngest brother,sister in law and his husband. Branch and Poppy were particularly out running Thomas who was walking.