Breadcrumbs

Rowan's POV:

I winced as I unwrapped my bandaged hand. What was I thinking? I reapplied some more ointment and continued with my day. It was the weekend, so I had more than enough time to get some stuff done. The first thing on the agenda was meeting up with Avery, but her phone's been off since last night.

She's probably still sleeping; it is a bit early. After I brushed my teeth, I opened the medicine cabinet above the sink to retrieve my so-called medication. To my surprise the pill bottle was empty. I must've used the last of it last night and completely forgot. I sighed in frustration and discarded the empty bottle in the trash. I guess I'll just stop by the pharmacy. By the time I'm done Avery should be up.

Once I was dressed, I grabbed my car keys and headed out. Barely no one was inside, which was great for me because I'd bet my left tit, I look like shit right now. I greeted the balding man behind the counter and requested a refill. It wasn't long before he came back. I thanked him and left. Just outside the door but out of sight of the security cameras a deal was going on.

I heard the frantic whispers between the two and then an exchange. One of the guys looked me dead in the eye and it made my blood run cold. I rushed to my car and locked the doors. I tried to catch my breath for what felt like forever. I quickly opened the newly bought medication and threw it down the hatch; a half drunken monster washed it down. I sat in the car a while before starting it up and pulling out of the parking lot.

Avery's POV:

I glared at my drawer that held my phone. As every second passed by, I grew more restless in wanting to open it. So many questions ran through my head last night I barely got any sleep. "Ah, fuck it," I opened my drawer and turned on my phone revealing a slew of messages left from Rowan.

Shit I totally forgot I was supposed to text her.

She wants to meet up at the coffee shop. That doesn't sound too bad considering I haven't had breakfast yet. I tidied myself up and made my way there. I met her sitting at one of the tables stirring her cup of coffee, lost in thought.

She is so effortlessly beautiful.

From the way her hair falls like whisps of cotton candy just above her forehead, the way her eyes always seem to sparkle and the way her heart never seems to grow cold. She really is beautiful in every sense of the word.

"Hey," I greeted as I took my seat opposite to her. "Your hand looks better."

"Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on it. Thanks for your help." She gave a light smile, one I quickly returned.

"Don't even mention it."

A waiter approached our table and laid down some very good-looking breakfast. She must have mixed up the tables. Before I could voice my concern Rowan thanked the waiter. I was noticeably confused about everything.

"What is it? Don't tell me you've eaten already," she sighed.

"No, I just didn't expect you to order. That was sweet of you, thank you."

"Don't mention it," she gave a playful wink.

Between the food or the coffee, I don't know which one tasted better. This is exactly what I needed to clear my head. Talking with Rowan made me lose sense of time our empty plates were evident of that. We laughed and found ourselves engaging in playful banter.

"This is nice," I admitted out loud.

"You see what happens when we're not biting each other's heads off," she smiles raising her cup of coffee.