Lights, Camera, Action!

Matt's POV:

My brother woke up at the crack of dawn. I know because his restless pacing could be heard from the thin walls of my room. Eventually the pacing stopped and he made his way downstairs. I followed shortly after seeing that I was already up.

"What's for breakfast?" I yawned.

"Do I look like your maid?" He shot me an icy look, a glass beer bottle in hand.

"Easy geez, and don't you think it's a bit too early to be drinking?" I criticized scouring the pantries for breakfast.

"My house, my rules," he took another sip of his drink.

"My house, my rules," I mocked under my breath.

"What was that," he asked not expecting an answer. "Thought so," he whispered to himself, but I still heard the bitchiness in his voice.

Interrupting our quality brother time was an unexpected knock from the slab metal door. Disgruntled voices followed soon after. Nick got up from the tone of the card tables and made way to greet whoever was behind the door. He smiled as he laid eyes on them. 

One by one they trickled into this place I was still hesitant to call home. "So glad you guys are finally here!" Nick boasts with a smile that stretched from ear to ear. This place is a shit hole," A big guy I have yet to know the name of huffed, resting his duffle bag of God knows what on the ground.

"Axel! So glad you haven't lost your sense of humour." My brother gave a strained laugh.

"This better be worth it Nick," A slim woman with curves like the hair that ran down to her shoulders said sternly.

"Of course, Cynthia, you know I wouldn't lead you astray," my overly flirtatious brother gave a wink, earning an eye roll from the beautiful woman.

Her eyes met mine and it was obvious she wasn't expecting me. "Who's the kid?" She eyed me for a while then diverted her gaze to my brother for an answer.

"Kid." I suppose having a juice box in my hand didn't really paint me in better light.

"That's my little bro, Matt. Yeah he's harmless, staying with me for a while since I kind of torched his old place," he explained lightly like it was some joke. Come over here Matt don't be rude," Nick tried to act like he had some sense of a parental bone in his body.

I rested the juice-box on the counter and my way to the group cautiously. "These were the guys I was talking to you about. This is Axel and Cynthia, the rest have their own places in town but these two are my favorite," he explains with pearly white teeth on display.

"Hey," I let out softly. Axel just groaned and looked at me with no importance. Cynthia on the other hand actually had some home training and returned the greeting.

"Great! Now that we are all acquainted, how about you go up to your room and let the grown-ups talk." I scoffed at his constant need to belittle me.

"Whatever." As I made my way up I heard whispers of their plan for New Meadow:

"Spread the word, I want this place filled with everyone who has even a bit of an itch to test their luck. And about expanding... I already found the perfect target."

"Finally, I thought this new gig would have me as a babysitter," Axel joked but somehow even his laugh came off as serious.

"Who's the target?" Cynthia asks a bit too eagerly.

I quietly finished my journey up the stairs, not wanting to get any deeper in this than I'm already am.