Chapter 1

Trigger Warnings

Abuse, Thoughts of Dying

~

Akemi always thought she had pretty good luck, everything always seemed to be in her favor. Sure it got her weird stares and whispers from the other students but she felt indifferent. She wasn't particularly upset about it, and when she voiced this, the whispers only got worse. Her father had told her to just stop speaking entirely because it would only bring problems, and she tried that. It didn't work as well as her father thought it would but at least she tried.

During her childhood, there was an incident. One that had her father sending her off to some boarding school in America. The experience was shit but with the help of friendship (she had no friends) she could stay sane. She most definitely caused some problems and got in a lot of trouble but she really couldn't bring herself to care. It was as if she didn't have that switch to turn on the emotional side of her brain. Everything she felt was dampened. When her mom died, she barely felt a thing and as much as she wanted to hate herself for it, she really couldn't feel anything. When her best friend of over 4 years stopped sending her letters a few months after she was shipped off? It stung a bit but other than that she forgot about it after the first week.

You'd think that as a child of 7 years old, she would feel things a bit more deeply like all other kids her age. According to her therapist, she had Alexithymia. She said it had links to many mental health conditions, specifically post-traumatic stress disorder.

When she first brought it up, her kid mind couldn't understand what she meant and even now she has trouble with it. She can't recall anything that could have happened when she was younger that could have caused it, she's been this way for as long as she could remember.

It's been a good 8 years since she's been in America, her father stopped contacting her 3 years in so she does not know how her family is at home. She tried not to think hard about it but her therapist was constantly asking her if she had heard from him. You'd think that she'd stop asking considering how long it's been but she still has hope that he'll come and "rescue" her from this school.

"Akemi?" Ms. Jamie snapped her fingers in front of her face, "We still have 20 minutes left in the session, you can't go away like that, ok?"

Akemi turned her head away from the bookshelf in front of her, mildly annoyed that she interrupted her. "You only have 57 books." She commented.

"I do, but that's not what we were talking about, is it?" Akemi watched as she scribbled something down in her notebook. It was small with cute little flowers on it, 14 of them, front and back.

Buy a few extra books for Akemi!!

She tried to lean forward to see what she was writing, but she moved to a different page right before she could accurately read it.

She sighed and crossed his arms over her chest, "I'm sick of talking about them."

"Once you answer my question, we can move on for the day," She said in a soft voice. She hated it when she talked that way. As if she was scared she'd have some kind of outburst.

"So, about the letter from your sister. What did she say? Anything about your father?"

"Just that he's climbed the ranks and is currently number 10. Said that she missed me."

"Anything about your dad coming and picking you up?"

She furrowed her brow, "That eager to get rid of me?" She thought they had been getting along perfectly and quite liked her office.

"Oh no, of course not," She let out a small laugh, "You've been here for a long time, longer than most of the other kids, I'm sure you're missing home?"