Chapter 3

If it seems like i was just writing nonsense it's probably bc i was, i don't even remember writing most of it lol

~

Akemi didn't sleep that night, her mind was both racing and completely blank. She felt sick with the thought of her father having a new family. One that was leagues better than anything she and her sister could give him. One good thing that came from all of this is that her arms were feeling better. They still hurt but it was more of a sore feeling, like the one you get from working out too hard.

She rolled over, reaching her arm out to grab her phone. Exactly 6 in the morning. Her father used to get up at 5, work out at the gym, come back and start breakfast. She wondered if that even stayed the same.

She pushed herself up from the bed and walked over to her bags that were still not unpacked. She still wasn't very certain that this whole thing was real. Sometimes, she'd think too hard and suddenly everything felt far away. Like she was in the backseat of her mind, watching everything from somewhere far away in her head.

She'd be like that for hours and sometimes she would forget things, whole chunks of her life. She would remember waking up and getting dressed and then suddenly it'd be dinner time. Akemi never knew what would happen during that time. It was just blank.

Akemi looked down at the clothes she had grabbed; she didn't bother putting on any day clothes; she wasn't planning on going anywhere, anyway. It was just a plain gray shirt and some pj pants.

She had just finished changing when there was a knock on the door, her heart raced and she had to force herself to remember that it wasn't Mr. Cowell, coming early in the mornings so he could help her. She wasn't there anymore.

Whoever was at the door decided she had been taking too long and opened it up just enough to stick their head through. It was her father's new wife. She was pretty, her long black hair pulled back in a braid that fell down to her waist.

"I made some breakfast if you'd like some," Her voice was gentle and she looked at Akemi like she loved her. This was their first interaction, and she already looked at her as if she could do no wrong.

Akemi walked towards the door, her footsteps were quiet and it reminded her of the little boys. Her new brother.

"Um, well, we try to eat as a family at the table and usually Kei will tell us about the dreams he had," Her laugh stops abruptly, "but yo- you don't have to if you're not comfortable yet!" Her voice went up a few octaves, she didn't want to make Akemi uncomfortable.

"It's fine, I'll stay," Akemi said little more after that, only half listening to the excited rambling of the woman beside her, her name was Himari and she was 43 and that was everything she got from that.

Akemi refused to look anywhere but in front of her, she didn't want to see her pictures gone. Her 2nd grade picture from the yearbook. She had gotten perfect attendance and could take her picture with it.

Her smile had been huge, it was one of her happiest memories. She remembers thinking of how proud her dad had looked when he saw the award. Perfect attendance wasn't a big deal to anyone else, but it had been the first year she had gone to every school day. She had to miss a lot of 1st grade because of health issues so when she could go every day, everyone who knew her was proud.

And then her mom died.

"Akemi!" The little boy, Kei, jumped out of his seat and towards her. He jumped up on her and she had to scramble to grab him. The pain in her arms flared up, and she almost dropped him from the pain. The wince on her face was a little too apparent, and he noticed almost immediately, letting go and dropping to his feet.