Childhood friends /slight sonadow/ (au)

(Trans Sonic in this au, also childhood friends to lovers trope 👌😌)

Third Person POV

It was darkness in the lab, until one of the stations opened.

The screen lifted off the tube and the creature inside opened his eyes.
He was a young hedgehog, probably no older than 8 years old.

He sat up and climbed out.

"Maria?" He chirped, looking around.
Then he spotted another station and ran over.
Inside was a sleeping teenager, she had long blonde hair and wore a blue dress.

"Maria!" He exclaimed, climbing up and hitting his tiny fist against the glass.

Then the glass opened and he rolled off and into the lap of the teen.
She awoke with a start and saw the small hedgehog in her lap.

"Shadow? What's going on?" She yawned.

He looked at her with a confused stare.

"Where are we?" She said, scooping him up and stepping out of the tank. "Where's Grandfather?"

Shadow looked around then pointed to another glowing tank, where an old man lay.

"Grandfather!" She said, running over with Shadow in her arms.

The tank opened as she came over and the old man stumbled out of it.

"Oh, Maria...Shadow....what....ah that's right..." He groaned, his old bones creaking as he moved.

"Grandfather, where are we? What happened?" She asked.

He looked at the screen by the tank and read the information.

"We have been asleep for around 40 years... and we're on earth now."

"We're on earth?!? Really?!?" Squealed Maria, hugging the small hedgehog in excitement.

"Yes, it seems my escape plan after GUN attacked worked, but we've definitely been asleep longer than I planned." Gerald hummed.

"Shadow, we're on earth! It's a dream come true!" Squealed Maria.

The young hedgehog nodded and smiled.

"We should explore and get to know the residents of this area before we get too excited Maria." Said Gerald.

Maria nodded and the three eventually located the door. They stepped outside and the sun immediately shone upon them, light bathing the area where their pods were.

"Woah, it's beautiful..." Sighed Maria, holding Shadow's hand.

Shadow looked out on the grassy plains with wide eyes. The hedgehog had grown up in the ark so the open and warmth of the whole world was mind-blowing to the 8-year old.

"Now, follow me children, we must be wary of who we talk to." Gerald said, starting across the grass towards the town off in the distance.

Maria ran after him and Shadow followed suit. She giggled and rolled down a hill they walked on and Shadow followed his sister's actions.

"Wah! Maria! How do I stop?" He shouted, as he rolled past his sister, curling up into a ball.

"Un-curl yourself silly! Shadow! You gotta stop with your hands!" She laughed, stopping rolling and running down after him.

He unrolled and stopped himself.
"Woah!" He said, feeling dizzy.

Maria laughed and helped her brother up.

Gerald chuckled and they kept moving and eventually they came up upon the town.
But it wasn't humans wandering around, no it was creatures just like Shadow. Well, a bit different but they all were anthropomorphic animals like him.