What happens when Jade returns home? Pt9

Jade

My nerves were starting to get the best of me as I drove closer to the one place, I used to feel safe, the home I shared with Dion. I can't even call him my husband because I have yet to truly feel like I can trust him. I feel like I don't even know him. "I made it girl," I tell my sister, we had been on the phone since I left her home, 45 minutes earlier. I adored my sister's home, and I appreciated her for allowing me to stay with her these past couple of months. "Okay if you need me call me right back" She replies I can hear in her voice she wasn't playing. I begin to collect my things from the passenger side and throw them into my purse, some chips, gum, and my cell phone. When the driver-side door closes behind me, I immediately want to jump back in the car and drive off to safety, to a better reality than I was forced to live in, I didn't ask for this. I was happy with Dion but all things had suddenly come to light without warning. Each step I took felt heavy as if I had sandbags attached to my ankles, my hands shook as I unlocked the door. The smell of old food hit my nose without warning, scanning the living room I saw balls of trash scattered and empty bottles of Modelo's. "You've got to be kidding me" I say to myself with a big sigh. The fact that Dion is gone gives me a bit of relief because I needed time to clear my head, but he would be the one to clean this mess up not me, walking into the living room I decided to open the two front windows, as I looked out the window I began to feel like the siblings from The Cat in the Hat, sure they were just two kids who needed some time out the house, who had nothing to do, but we all three had something in common, the feeling of hopelessness. As I looked at the rose bush, I noticed a patch of dirt that looked disturbed beside a single rose on the bottom. Leaning closer to the window screen I scrunched up my face to get a closer look. "Who What When and Why?" I say in an irritated tone, placing my belongings on the desk beside me, I make my way back outside. At a quick pace I walk toward the bush, noticing my neighbor Bernie sitting on his porch, "Hey Bernie" I yell while waving, "Jade how are you? Bernie yells back, "I haven't seen you in a while", Taking a quick breath I quickly let Bernie know I was out of town visiting my sister. With the conversation now over my standing stance turned into a squat as I began to fidget with the earth beneath my fingertips, I hadn't gardened in so long, I missed the feeling of dirt. Sweat began to build on my forehead and I could feel my cheeks getting warmer, My knees began to ache and I quickly decided to get on all fours, making the once small patch of dirt grow wider as I dug deeper, I wasn't sure why I felt there was something worth finding, Glad that Bernie went back inside, I pictured myself looking like a dog trying to dig for a bone, "Ouch I yelled as I quickly pulled my hand back, the sight of blood made me stand on my feet immediately. "What the hell" I whisper. When I look down, I see a silver object pocking out of the dirt. The cut wasn't fatal thankfully, back on all fours I slowly moved more dirt out of the way to reveal what almost made my heart stop a knife, with a black handle.