Not So Private Information

Ty

Kyle: What's going on? 

Kyle: Why didn't you stay at Nana last night like Katie and I?

Kyle: TY???

Kyle: I KNOW, YOU KNOW.

Kyle had been texting me since last night about what was going on, and he was very clear about wanting answers. But this wasn't like anything that had happened before, and it wasn't my place to share what I knew with anyone, so I ignored his texts like I had been since last night, not even opening them so he wouldn't see if I read them or not. 

I checked the time on the stove, and seeing it was 10:15. I knew Kyle would call me in an hour and twenty-five minutes once he noticed Annie and I weren't there for lunch. My phone buzzed, and I was about ready to throw it at the wall with all of Kyle's texts. But when I looked down, I saw that Kyle wasn't the one lighting up my phone. 

Aunt Helen: Is Annie up? 

Aunt Helen texted in a new group chat that my Mom had set up last night after I suggested I stay home and keep Annie company instead of going to school today. The group chat included Mom, Aunt Helen and me. I was about to text back when I heard the stairs creak. I got up off the couch to see Annie at the bottom of the stairs.

She is wearing a pair of capris that look like sweatpants, a zip-up hoodie, and a pair of ankle socks. There is no makeup, and her hair is back in a simple braid. One splinted arm hugging herself and the other on the railing.

"Hey," I say softly, hoping to keep her calm. 

"Morning." She says, turning into the kitchen, and I head that way. "Why aren't you at school?" 

"Headache," I tell her a white lie because I know she would not like the real reason; she would feel guilty and like a burden—which she was the furthest thing from. 

"Liar," she says as she pulls open the fridge. "I'm okay on my own; I don't need a babysitter; I'm-."

"Fine," I finish for her. She turns around and glares at me. 

"Yes." She says. "I am." 

"I know," I tell her, knowing she isn't, no matter how often she says she is fine or okay. "Now, what do you want for breakfast?" I ask. 

"You can't cook," she says as she grabs a bottle of water and closes the fridge. I chuckle because she knows me so well. 

"No, I definitely can't," I tell her, humour lacing my voice as I pull open the freezer. But I can make," I glance for what I am looking for, "pre-cooked pancakes and heat up hashbrowns," I tell her as I pull out and hold up the pre-made pancakes my Mom makes and some large hashbrowns. 

"Are those homemade?" Annie asks. 

"Of course. Do you think my Mom would buy frozen pancakes?" I ask her. 

"My mom would never buy store-bought pancakes, but Aunt Maddie is more...relaxed about what food she allows in the house," Annie says with no emotion in her voice. 

"Well, we may have store-bought hamburgers from time to time, but my mom does prefer to make the classics," I tell her. "Chocolate chip, plain or cinnamon?" I ask her, knowing what she will pick. 

"Chocolate chip." She says this with a bit of emotion as if the answer should have been obvious. 

"How many hash browns?" I ask her. 

"Two, please." 

"Coming up," I tell her before remembering I have to text Mom and Aunt Helen. I put the stuff on the counter before texting them back and grabbing my phone from my back pocket.