4.Hidden Truths

Chapter Four - Could Be a Bit Sad
.
.
.

If someone had asked Xui Ren two days prior if she believed in love at first sight, she would have denied it and might have said hurtful words to those who did. Despite being an omega, she always hated the idea of having a mate. Even her beta brother had stressed the importance of having a mate, but she had never wanted one in her life until now. However, the situation had changed completely just yesterday when Xui Ren met Lan Wangji and fell for him at first sight. She had even decided to impress him during her three-day stay at Cloud Recesses.

Xui Ren and Xui Ching arrived at the emperor's throne hall with Xichen and Quiren. Xichen invited her to sit and have tea with them.

They all sat down and began drinking the tea served by one of the disciples. Quiren asked, "I've heard a lot about your medical skills from your father." Xui Ren gave him a gentle smile, blushing slightly. "Is there a particular reason for your visit? Last time I suggested to your father that he send both of you for a teaching program, he declined, citing health reasons."

She smiled and replied, "Firstly, thank you for your compliments, but I'm not that skilled in medicine; I've just been practicing since childhood." She sighed. "The reason for our visit is that Father wanted to share this message with you." She took out a scroll from her inner robe and handed it to them. Quiren read the scroll and passed it to Xichen.

Ren looked at her brother. He nodded and said, "This message is from the Wen Ruhan, received two days ago. They've demanded that we submit to them and sever our alliance with Gusu. They threatened to cut off the river, on which our sect depends, if we don't comply within a month."

"Father doesn't trust anyone, which is why he sent me here with the message instead of any other servant," she explained to them.

Xichen sighed and said, "Don't worry, your father trusts us, and that is enough to help your sect in this problematic situation." He looked at Quiren and nodded. "We will think about solutions for this concern of yours. For now, we have arranged rooms for both of you. Please feel free to rest and explore Gusu." Both siblings nodded and bowed in gratitude.

Quiren cleared his throat and said, "Just make sure you follow the Cloud Recesses rules. Xichen, please arrange the rule book in their room."

Xichen nodded and made arrangements for the Xui siblings for everything. Before the siblings left, they thanked them once more and bowed in respect.

*******
On the other side, Wangji was taking a stroll around the Cloud Recesses, monitoring everyone's work. He walked along the right side of the guest rooms where he encountered Xui Ren and her brother Xui Ching. They bowed to each other in greeting.

"Thank you so much, Lan er gongzi, for saving us yesterday," Ren said gratefully. Wangji nodded in response, he is man of few words who had grown accustomed to solitude from an early age and seldom interacted unnecessarily with others.

"I'm sorry to disturb you, but both of us are here for the first time and don't know exactly where our rooms are located. Could Huangwang Jun help us?" Ren asked politely.

Wangji understood their concern and replied with a simple "yes" before he started walking.

As he monitored the area, Wangji noticed a few servants cleaning a room designated for guests, which he assumed was for the Xui siblings. He walked ahead of them toward their room.

Xui Ching observed his sister's behavior, noting how uncommon it was for her to engage with a new alpha like Lan Wangji. The way she looked at him and asked for his help suggested a budding interest in Lan Wangji. As they walked toward the left side of the area, Xui Ren remarked, "Cloud Recesses is a really beautiful and peaceful place for the soul, don't you think?" She looked at Wangji hopefully, expecting at least a few words in reply.