33. Gatherings and ceremony.

Hey everyone!
I hope you all are doing fine. I know I made you wait a lot.
My job is hectic, and I am also preparing for entrance exam. So not getting time and motivation to write.

Here you go! I hope you will like it...

A silence spread through the room, only interrupted by the sound of water being poured and tea being prepared. The two women sat across from each other. One had many questions on her mind, while the other was clueless about the purpose of this meeting.

Wen Qing first served tea to Madam Yu and then herself. She was contemplating what to do next, as she was unaware of the reason for Madam Yu's summons. When she had entered and asked Madam Yu about it, Madam Yu had instead told her to sit and make tea for both of them.

Madam Yu, on the other hand, was gathering her thoughts and questions. Taking a sip of tea, she began, "You are quite talented, Young Lady Wen. I can see how dedicated you are when it comes to your work."

Wen Qing nodded and bowed at the comment, letting Madam Yu continue her words. "But my son never misjudges a person. He knows when to talk with respect and when not to," Madam Yu said, looking sharply at Wen Qing.

Wen Qing froze at Madam Yu's words. She now understood where the conversation was heading. She gulped her sip of tea and looked at Madam Yu with wide eyes. The hidden truth was about to be revealed. What if Madam Yu asked her why Jiang Cheng's behavior toward her was so cold? What would she answer? Was she ready to let the truth come out?

Yes, she was. She resolved to face the consequences of her deeds. She was determined to confess.

"Madam Yu, what are you saying? I don't understand," she replied cautiously.

"That is my question to you, Wen Qing. Why is Jiang Cheng behaving this way towards you? Is there something you are hiding from all of us?" Madam Yu sighed, her gaze softening slightly. "Look, I know my son. He behaves recklessly most of the time and is arrogant at some points, but he is not someone who disrespects people without reason."

Wen Qing took a deep breath, determined to tell everything she had done. Today or tomorrow, she must confess these things, gathering her courage. "Madam Yu, there is something I need to confess. Jiang Cheng's behavior towards me has a reason," she paused, collecting her words.

"And it is because of a mistake I made in the past. I was involved in Wei Wuxian's-"

"Wedding robe selection," a voice interrupted from behind. Both ladies turned to the source. It was Wei Wuxian himself. "She was involved in my wedding robe selection ceremony, and she did not inform Jiang Cheng, even after receiving instructions from me. Jiang Cheng was busy arranging inns for guests, and now he blames Wen Qing and calls her a betrayer and all."

Wuxian sat beside his mother and snuggled her. "You know how unfair Cheng Cheng becomes when it comes to family matters," he said, pouting. "He's a big baddy and meany, but I'm a good boy," he looked at his mother with puppy eyes.

Madam Yu, thinking but then shrugging, patted Wuxian's back affectionately. "Hmm, you might be right." She looked back at Wen Qing. "I am sorry for my son's behavior."

Wen Qing nodded. "Don't apologize, Madam Yu." She didn't speak further as she watched Wei Wuxian lie to Madam Yu to save her. But why? Did he know about her truth?

After some time, she bowed and took her leave. She still needed time to rest her racing heart.

As she was walking back to her room, a voice stopped her. "Wen Qing!" It was Wei Wuxian himself. "Can we talk?"

Wen Qing nodded and followed him to the backyard. "Look, Wuxian, I..."

"Wen Qing, if you're not ready, don't tell me. I will wait for it. No need to force yourself."