Chapter Sixteen: The Mind Flayer

The group started walking along the train tracks in the direction the creatures ran to. Steve and Dustin led the way while Lucas, Riley and Max brought up the rear. Riley had finally put her knife away but held her hand by it ready to draw at a moment's notice. Max was walking close to her, close enough that their hands were knocking against each other with every step. But neither of them moved away, grateful for the reminder that someone was right there close by.

    "You're positive that was Dart?" Lucas asked as they bickered about the demo creature they had seen last.

    "Yes. He had the same exact yellow pattern on his butt." Dustin answered matter of factly.

    "He was tiny two days ago." Max chimed in.

    "Well, he's molted three times already." Dustin answered, almost sounding bored. Riley looked at him concerned on what exactly was going on with the boy, he had been acting weird all afternoon.

    "Malted?" Steve repeated.

    "Molted," Dustin said, annoyed. "Shed his skin to make room for growth like hornworms."

    "When's he gonna molt again?" Max asked as Riley shone her flashlight into the dark forest surrounding them.

    "It's gotta be soon. When he does, he'll be fully grown, or close to it. And so will his friends." Dustin informed them.

    "Yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats." Steve muttered, now that got Riley's attention and apparently it got Lucas's too because he reached out and stopped Dustin with a jolt.

    "Wait, a cat?" He asked, "Dart ate a cat?"

    "No," Dustin shook his head in denial but Riley could tell he was lying. "What, No."

    "What are you talking about? He ate Mews." Steve interjected, spilling the truth. Riley's mouth dropped in shock, poor Mews, and poor Ms. Henderson she loved that cat.

    "Mews? Who's Mews?" Max asked, looking around the group confused.

    "Dustin's cat." Riley informed her, giving the boy a pointed look. "His mom's pride and joy."

    "Guys!" Dustin shouted at them to shut up.

    "I knew it!" Lucas shouted, poking the boy in the chest. "You kept him!"

    "No! No. No, I... No, I..." He stuttered out in response. "He missed me. He wanted to come home." He finally let out with a rush. Riley scoffed at the thought of a baby demogorgon wanting to come home to Dustin like he was his mother.

    "Bullshit!" Lucas shouted at him not taking it for a second.

    "I didn't know he was a Demogorgon, okay." Dustin admitted.

    "Oh, so now you admit it?" Lucas interrupted.

    "Guys, who cares? We have to go." Max told them both from beside Riley, as much as Riley wanted to agree with Lucas and she was slightly mad at Dustin she knew Max was right and they had bigger problems then a stupid argument that could be held another time.

    "I care! You put the party in jeopardy! You broke the rule of law!" Lucas interjected before they were able to continue walking bringing the argument up again. Riley wanted to punch some sense into him.

    "So did you!" Dustin shouted back, "both of you." He pointed at Riley then dragging her into the argument.

    "What?" She asked confused about what the heck she did.

    "You told a stranger the truth!" He said pointing the flashlight at Max hitting her right in the eyes forcing her to recoil back.

    "A stranger!" Max objected.