𝟮𝟰 | 𝗹𝗲𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗴𝗮𝗺𝗲𝘀 𝗯𝗲𝗴𝗶𝗻

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐯 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐫

❝ 𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐧 ❞

"ATTENTION ON DECK!"

Rumbles from a jet in the air echo around the room. Feet hit the ground as the candidates stand up to greet their superiors.

These words are heard to both Faith and Maverick, as they stand by each other, the F/A-18 NATOPS in her uncle's hands, behind the closed doors to the hangar, that had been assigned as their makeshift class.

Well, Maverick was standing, and Faith, she was pacing. Yes, she knew how it was to be a Captain. yes, she knew the now-how and the ones she was going to teach knew them too. But it was who, she was going to teach. Not all of them knew about the fact that she'd been promoted to Captain, or that she was Iceman's adopted daughter.

How she was going to get through these next couple of weeks, that was up to Him up above.

Iceman's words echo in her head as she stands still in her place, closing her eyes, and repeating his words like a mantra in her mind, her closed fist pressed to her closed lips.

Ice cold. No mistakes.

Cyclone and Warlock walk into the room, boots against the ground echoing. Then, Warlock's voice is heard, "Morning. Welcome to your special detachment. Be seated."

Warlock continues, "I'm Admiral Bates, NAWDC Commander. You're all TOPGUN graduates. The elite. The best of the best." Faith knows that around the entire room, smiles had splattered on all faces.

And then, Warlock's words must have made their smiles fall, "That was yesterday. the enemy's new fifth-generation fighter has leveled the playing field. Details are few, but you can be sure we no longer possess the technological advantage. Success, now more than ever, comes down to the man or woman in the box." Faith could practically envision Jake looking at Natasha with that asshole smile of his.

"Half of you will make the cut. One of you will be named mission leader. The other half will remain in reserve." Warlock ends his long speech.

Behind the closed doors of the hangar, Faith and Maverick share smirks, understanding this was their cue to make their entrance. Her nervousness and anxiety was pushed all the way to the back of her mind. Right now, she was completely focused on the mission, and the mission only.