The Obscene Milk of Regret

Benjamin brought Chongo inside to cool off. As a homeless man, Chongo considered himself to be an outdoor cat. Being inside four walls with all the modern accessories, almost too good to be true, hard to believe life was at this point. To an uncivilized people it would be heaven. The kitchen was a display of chaos. Chongo had asked if there was anything he could do to help but Marjovae waved him off. "Everything's being taken care of. You boys have been out working in the sweltering sun all day. Just relax while I finish pruning my bush." Chongo figured he'd change clothing after a shower so he wouldn't soil the furniture. When he came back to the living room fully refreshed, Benjamin was already there and had the TV tuned to an episode of WWE. He had his eyes glued to it like an action figure head on a popsicle stick. The kind that came with adhesive from one of the horses on the farm when having trouble cleaning its hoof and decided it would be easier to make glue out of it.

Normally one of his eyes would start drifting away but they were both firmly focused on what was happening. "What are you watching?" Chongo asked, taking a seat next to him, intrigued by the magnanimous presence of the wrestlers. "Only the greatest show ever to be aired on television. I've got all the matches videotaped. I hoard the broken VHS tapes and do not tolerate theft." "Why's that?" Chongo wondered aloud. "To prove that this here wrestling is real. If it was fake then the VHS tapes would remain intact." "Good point." One of the wrestlers wearing a mask, Ray Mysterio a luchador pinned his opponent by lifting up one of the legs and the referee banged several beats on the mat before breaking free. Then a full Nelson and Suplex, 59 style.

"Oh come on you got to wear him out before trying to finish it! Stop showing off and go for the kill!" Ben yelled at the TV. From the kitchen Marjovae's shrill voice rang out. "Benjamin, you better not be working yourself up before dinner. You won't be able to digest if you're excited." "Sorry, Mom" Benjamin called back and mimicked a few punches that landed on the wrestler who had previously appeared to have the upper hand. "Look at this, he got cocky and now he's gonna suffer the consequences of an ego trip. Mom thinks that this stuff is making me violent. I figured it was worth lying about being real if I can keep it on." Benjamin said softly, making sure to keep his voice down. Chongo had a feeling that this was less due to Marjovae's intervention than Ben being awestruck by the two wrestler's performance; it had taken his breath away.

Chongo himself found it to be entertaining to watch the ridiculous stunts being performed. He could see getting zoned out and engaging in the programming for hours. Ben seemed to notice that Chongo's attention hadn't been averted and he voiced his approval. "I'm glad you like it. Dad says it's crap but Mom convinced him to let me keep watching it because I'll throw a fit if I get it taken away. They tried once and boy did I make them regret it. If Frogalina were a toad she'd be ugly." He said watching the match as if he hadn't seen it a hundred times before. It was the only working tape. Television series contribute to a lower level of intelligence. Chongo was no fool. He knew it was fake but if he zoned out like Ben his brain could overlook it. It was no different than making believe or playing pretend. Besides he wouldn't challenge Ben on the merits of the authenticity of all elite wrestling. If his parents hadn't succeeded at it, what chance did he have?

"Sure would." "Yeah, it's a crime to think babies are ugly though. Jeez this guy is getting pummeled, he couldn't win at a game of monopoly if he were the banker and kept receiving dividends. Let's get it done, send him to the Kingdom of Eternal Glory! I've never had a best friend before you came along, Chongo. Well there was Rerun but we couldn't talk about things the way we do. I know what they say about a dog being man's best friend, but I think that's more for the silent warrior retreating to his fortress of solitude. Thanks for talking to me. That's the last I'll say on the matter unless you want to add something." Chongo was genuinely touched by Benjamin, just as the boy had been by God. He himself was sort of a lone wolf but being with Ben was different then most people. The boy didn't seem to require active engagement; he just enjoyed having the physical presence of another human being.