10

I was confused each time he came around to help me. He had no reason to be here. Luke would just come over everyday and help out with the car. I was pretty sure that after I told him to make things up, he would just leave me alone. That's what he basically does at school. But after school, he's a different person. He doesn't seem to be annoyed. And of course, he does all the talking. I'm surprised that he's this open with me. It got me questioning things. Something's up and I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing. 

How did we end up here? Thinking back to when I first met him, he wasn't like this. We were awkward and didn't want to be near each other. Now look at us. He's throwing smiles here and there. I only see it when we're alone together. 

"Do you have any siblings?" Luke asks after he just got done talking about his two brothers. I shake my head, still fixing the engine. 

"Oh," he trails off, " hey, you're parents don't mind that I'm here, right?" What?

My mood went from 100 to 0 real quick. Why would he ask that now? 

I give him a simple shrug. I don't think it matters now, since he's been coming to my house for about three weeks. Luke stopped talking after that. All you can hear was Ed Sheeran's faint voice in the corner of the garage. 

Another voice singing along suddenly interrupted my train of thoughts. I peek over to the side and see that Luke was singing. I raise my eyebrows. He was currently taking all of the trash in the car out, singing to 'give me love'. I didn't think that he was into this kind of music, but I got to admit, he was a great voice. 

I was getting lost in his singing. That's something I never do when it's someone I'm not usually fond of. I didn't realize I was staring at the wall behind him until he cleared his throat really loud. After shaking out of my daze, I snap my head towards him.  

"I, uh, cleaned it out." There was a big pile of trash surrounding him. He carefully stepped out of the mess. Giving him a thumbs up, I went over to the trash bin and dragged it over to the pile. I put all of it into the trash, examining each one as I grab them. They were all full of dirt and dust that I couldn't tell what they are.  

Suddenly, a light flashes, and 'click' was heard. Looking up, I see a red faced Luke holding an old Polaroid camera. 

"Uh," he says sheepishly, "it works." Luke's face heats up even more. I look down and smile while shaking my head. Getting up, I take the printed picture from the camera and look at it. All you see is me putting the trash into the bin. My cheeks heat up, realizing how ridiculous I looked in this. I grab the camera from his hands and face it towards him. Luke tries to grab it from me, but it was too late. The sound of a click was heard. 

I let the picture dry for a minute before looking at it. I smirk at it as Luke yanks it out of my grasp. His face turns a deep red, then takes the camera away from me, putting it on the shelf. 

"No more." He pouts slightly. Luke drops his pouty face when he sees me staring at him with one eyebrow raised. Seeing him pout gave me the most strangest feeling ever. It was out of the ordinary. We have a weird thing going on. Luke and I ignore each other at school, but times like this, we don't. It's just - I'm not used to it. It's an odd feeling. 

I'm ripped from my thoughts when my phone starts vibrating. Taking it out of my pocket, I see who is calling me. The hospital? I slide the accept bar and put the phone up to my ear. 

"Hello Grayson," a lady's voice rang, "your guardian, Karen Clifford, is currently in the hospital-" The world stops. All I could get out of that was a car crash and surgery. 

"Sorry for the amount of information brought upon you," I snap back into reality, "we hope that you could come vis-" I hang up the phone. 

"He-hey, everything alright?" Luke asks me, giving me a concerned look. I try to hold back the tears, not wanting to cry in front of him. I shake my head no.