new kidz on the block

눈부신 night 물 만난 you and me

---

when ricky enters the yuehua practice room for the first time, the reactions he received were totally expected.

"woah... he's so handsome."

"i'm jealous. why can't i look like that?"

ricky knew his visuals were way higher than average. he also knew he had a resting intimidating face, and he kind of liked the feeling of being the mysterious blonde guy who wears only black at yuehua. that's why in order to maintain his reputation, he barely talked (also because he knew very little korean), kept his head high, and, well, tried to be mysterious!

a few days after he started training at yuehua, he was approached, for the first time, by a trainee.

"alright, let's take a break." the choreographer said, clapping his hands.

drained, ricky sat down, his hand clutching his evian water. that's when someone plopped down next to him.

"i got an extra ice cream. want one?"

ricky raised his head to look at the speaker. small face, big eyes, (i like. what your wechat?) quite the looker. ricky looked up at the trainee, then looked down at the strawberry ice cream he was offering. and the mango ice cream in his other hand.

choosing his words carefully, he opted for "how'd you know i like strawberries?"

he indeed did not regret saying that because the boy beamed. and it was the prettiest smile ricky had ever seen. "wild guess. i was right?"

ricky couldn't help but smile too, before nodding.

needless to say, he took the ice cream.

---

gyuvin and ricky clicked almost immediately. they became the "if you do it i'll do it" type of friends. almost like, if you talked to gyuvin he would somehow mention ricky, and the same goes for ricky.

soon, boys planet era comes by.

the show forced the two of them to separate, gyuvin being in k group and ricky being in g group. they would still talk, though, when the opportunity comes.

ricky noticed how boys planet drained gyuvin's energy. the pressure had an effect on gyuvin that only ricky could see. on the outside gyuvin was still the same old bubbly gyuvin, but the spark in his eyes wasn't there. he also caught gyuvin crying secretly sometimes, but he never approached him because he figured gyuvin would probably want to be alone. that didn't mean ricky wasn't affected by all this though. he was worried about gyuvin. a lot.

and he also missed him. a lot.

ricky would sneak glances at gyuvin when he wasn't looking, and gyuvin did the same.

for now, it was enough.

---

on the night before the finale, ricky tossed and turned in his bed, mind filled with the worst case scenarios that could happen. at one point, he couldn't take it anymore, and stood up from the bed. he isn't sure where his feet is taking him. he just walks and walks, his fully-awake-but-also-not-really-there-mentally self finally stopping in front of a familiar door.

gyuvin's probably not awake, should i go back?

his thoughts fly out of his head when he opens the door quietly. thankfully, it wasn't locked. his eyes automatically search for gyuvin, before landing on a mop of brown hair and he silently makes his way over. one of gyuvin's roommates shuffle in his bed and ricky freezes, his heart racing. when he is certain that everyone is asleep, he tiptoes over to gyuvin's bed and kneels down.

ricky raises his hand and slightly nudges gyuvin's shoulder.

"gyuvin." ricky whispers. "gyuvin, you up?" obviously not, ricky shen.

ricky's on his last flicker of hope when he pokes at gyuvin's cheek. he almost gets up and leaves before gyuvin's eyes slowly open, big boba eyes staring back at him in confusion.

"ricky?" gyuvin says, tiredly.

"sorry. i couldn't sleep, and i..." ricky trails off. he feels really bad.

"shh, it's okay. do you want to take a walk?" at that point ricky thinks he doesn't deserve gyuvin at all. ricky nods, not trusting his own voice.

---

they sit quietly, side by side, in convenience store, basking in the moment of peacefulness. gyuvin slurps away at a bowl of shin ramen, but ricky didn't really feel like eating.

gyuvin breaks the silence first. "so, what's on your mind?"

"i... i'm not sure."

"is it about finals?" bingo. gyuvin hits bullseye on the first try.

ricky feels sick to the stomach. he doesn't want to think about it.

instead of replying, hot tears start streaming down his face, and he frantically wipes them away with the sleeves of his sweater.

gyuvin's gaze softens, and he sets down his pair of chopsticks before pulling ricky into an embrace. ricky immediately feels better, gyuvin gives the best hugs after all. but the tears really wouldn't stop.

gyuvin grabs the tissue sitting on the table and gently dabs at ricky's eyes, wiping away his tears, other hand softly caressing ricky's cheek.

"what's wrong, hm? you know you can tell me anything."

"i-" ricky blabbers, choking on tears. gyuvin's hand finds ricky's hand under the table and squeezes it comfortingly, as if to urge him to go on.

"i'm worried." ricky lets out. "i'm worried about- i don't know. about myself, what if i don't debut? i mean, it's always been my dream. i don't know what to do with myself if i don't make it. what if hao doesn't debut? which is silly of me, him and hanbin making it is a given. but- like, what if?" ricky takes a deep breath, trying to organize his thoughts. gyuvin has his full attention on him, and ricky would almost feels bad if he wasn't kind of having a mental breakdown right now. his ramen was probably cold by now.

something else crosses his mind and he lets out a broken gasp.

"what if even worse, we don't debut together?" a new round of tears rolls down ricky's face and gyuvin dabs at them again.

"i'll always wait for you, ricky. you know that." gyuvin's voice is full of love, adoration, and endearment. ricky wants to melt.

he doesn't doubt gyuvin. not once.

"i can't believe i just full on had a sobbing session in a convenience store." ricky whines, his face now dry. "i'm sorry about your ramen, by the way. i'll pay for it."

gyuvin laughs, and it's music to ricky's ears. "it's okay. let's head back?"

ricky falls asleep almost instantly when he returns to the camp, mind free of distress. gyuvin effect!

---

when they embrace each other as members of zerobaseone, ricky thinks he is finally home.

a/n: sorry for being mia i was just a little bit lazy. 1k+ words and the crowd goes MILD!🗣️🗣️🗣️ pls ignore the fact that the title and the story doesn't match at all, i couldn't think of ANYTHING for new kidz on the block oops! it's okay just enjoy the story 💋 also stream maestro by svt ty