C H A P T E R N I N E- S H O P P I N G

Valeria stares at her stepmother, confusion evident on her face

Valeria stares at her stepmother, confusion evident on her face. Delia frowns, "It was a horrible fall, I guess you hit your head."

Valeria reaches up to touch her head, but she couldn't feel anything unusual, no bruises, no bleeding, no bandaging. Was this the truth?

"It didn't seem to affect your physical appearance, you just seemed to have hit your head on the floor with enough force to rattle your memory, but not your actual head." Stefano muttered, the lies seeping through his mouth with such precision that Valeria fell for it.

"Oh."

She was dumbfounded, all she remembered was getting ready for the street race, but nothing after that. It was unusual.

"How long was I asleep for?" She asked, her voice hoarse. She rubbed her throat as she waited for a response.

"A few hours." Lucian answered, his eyes narrowed into slits, "The doctor left a few moments ago."

This family grew up lying, and practically bathed in lies. They knew how to master the skill, but unfortunately for Valeria, she wasn't raised by Stefano.

She couldn't lie to save her life.

"Okay." She said, her eyes trained on Hades, who was slithering in and out of the blanket.

"We'll leave." Nina cleared her throat, casting a quick glare at Lucian before she ushered everyone out. Lucian looked back at Valeria, a small smile of her face as Hades hung off the edge of her bed. He had so many questions.

Why was she in Serpenti?

What happened with Morozov?

What did she see that night?

All those questions remained unanswered as he walked out her room, shutting the door behind him and walking down the hallway he had only seen a handful of times.

"What really happened?" Valeria whispered, watching Hades with a glimmer of love in her eyes. She picked him up and let him wrap around her, her thoughts trailing off to the moments she remembered from last night.

It was a fuzzy picture, she could only remember an alleyway. Nothing else. It was as if her memories incinerated into clouds, and the only few pieces that remained were stained by water, the words all unclear.

All she could do was wait, wait for time to pass by and leave small clues on what happened.

But she knew that was far away.

"Elias." Carlos confirmed, zooming in onto the number plate. "That's Elias' car."

Lucian let out a sigh, closing the computer and pushing it away, "Fuck."

"Fuck." Christian agreed, his hand rubbing his temple, "Do you think he got evidence?"

Since Christian and Carlos hadn't been able to catch whoever saw them, they decided to report back to Lucian, Carlos offering up his dash cam footage to get a closer look at the car chase. From that, they managed to track the number plate back to Elias.