C H A P T E R S E V E N T E E N- M O T H E R

"We cannot apologise enough for the inconvenience we have caused you," The woman clears her throat nervously

"We cannot apologise enough for the inconvenience we have caused you," The woman clears her throat nervously. "The higher ups requested that they should have some time to inspect the scene before making any further actions."

Elias' dark eyes flickered to the men stationed outside the closed off area, the only thing separating them was the crime scene tape boarding off the road from the public.

The silver necklace bounded around their necks spoke volumes, a way of warning Elias to think before speaking. Serpents.

When the police first discovered the incinerated car at the bottom of the cliff, they believed it had been caused by the reckless driving of one who had possibly attended the street race a few hours before. But upon discovering no body and only the partially burned number plate which belonged to a rivalling empire, they had reported the incident to the leaders.

Elias had been reluctant to tread on land owned by a man he despised, but he had no choice but to comply.

The wind blew harshly against Elias, his jacket thrashed wildly as he gazed down the cliff.
There it was, a car he owned completely destroyed and withering away as the sea took parts of it into the void.

The name lingered in the back of his mind, but he couldn't think of a reason why Devon would've drove his older brother's car off the cliff. There had been times where their father would invite Devon over, even though their mother hated it when Devon was near his father.

After a dreadful divorce, an eternity of arguments and thousands of bruises, Gianna Vietillo had finally managed to escape the clutches of her psychotic husband. The only con was that she had to leave her eldest son behind.

Elias hadn't seen his mother in years and had no recollection of what her voice sounded like nor any memories he had with her. All he knew was that her and Devon now resided in Serenity.

"What would you like us to do with your car, sir?" The woman asked, her teeth trembling due to the cold. "The Scuderi's suggest that you leave the scene as it is, and if it's found that you had no participation in this accident, they'll compensate you for taking some of your time."

Elias scoffed, gazing at the men send by Scuderi, before turning his head back to the woman, "Tell him that I want a meeting." He gestured to the cliff, "I had nothing to do with that, and considering that my car was used in his territory, I believe he had something to do with it." Running a hand through his auburn hair, he turned on his heels and stalked to his car.

A hand landed on his shoulder and his pace slowed, coming to an abrupt stop as he turned to his second in command. Kalden's gaze bored into Elias', before he jutted his chin behind him. Glancing past Kalden, Elias watched as few police officers gathered around a particular area, before one clutched his radio and began demanding forensics.

He brushed past Kalden and strode towards them, his eyes narrowed as it came into view.
There on the ground, contrasting against the grey, decaying gravel was a small brown splotch, so small it took him a few moments to finally see.