G'night, Luke

"G'night, Luke," I whispered into the dark room, before closing the door. I always wish everyone goodnight before I go to bed. It's kind of a closure to the day. I walk down the hall back to my room, and raise an eyebrow when I see the time displayed on my little digital clock.

It's almost 1 in the morning. I usually go to bed a couple hours earlier, but tonight I feel like I can't crawl into bed and sleep. Mikey usually stays up a lot longer, and I'm sure a lot of people do too, but I'm a morning person. I like to use my daylight hours.

Deciding to take care of the dull ache in my head, I head down the stairs to the kitchen to get some medicine.

Luke is standing still in the middle of the kitchen, as if he had been waiting for me.

I had just said goodnight to him a couple of minutes ago! I didn't even close the door to my room, so I would have seen him walk by. He'd been in bed, staring at the wall when I said goodnight. How'd he get down here?

Luke had turned his head ever so slightly so that he was looking me directly in the eyes. I felt the goosebumps race across my skin--his gaze was threatening.

We stood there for a minute or so, when I noticed his blue eyes were starting to roll upwards. Suddenly, his head jerked up, and he looked at the ceiling for a moment, before falling backwards.

It could have been a mistake; Luke was clumsy. The momentum of the head movement could have caused it, but the way he fell back-- it was like someone had shoved him in the chest. He didn't try to catch himself or anything. The fall wasn't awkward, like when you slip and fall on your ass. There was force behind it.

His head hit the floor with a thump, and I rushed toward him, concerned.

"Luke, what happened?" I asked, keeping my voice low as I stood over him. I momentarily forgot about our communication problem. He just stared back at me with his blue eyes. I looked at him for a moment, and he kept his eyes trained on me as he slowly lifted his right arm to point at the ceiling. I looked where he pointed.

There was a knife sticking out of the ceiling.

☁☁☁

Sorry this is really short but thE TENSION