Promise? Promise

Promise, it is an assurance to do a certain or that particular thing will happen. An assurance that one day, the words that have settled in a promise would happen in the future, as how it was sealed.

But in my case, I don't really believe in promises. For me, promises are just words that are placed inside the bottle, and soon, will just fall broken, as it meant. That, promises are just words that were put in a jar, and will soon, just shattered after— leaving you scarred by its sharp fragments.

I never promised to someone, and never believed in one... not until I met a man who is fond of promises and assurance. He's a man of his words— he loves giving me a jar of promises and will perform what's inside of it right after.

"Want some ice cream?" Samiel asked with a little smile plastering on his face.

I just nodded.

"Dito ka lang, ha? I'll be back," wika ng lalaki bago mabilis na tumungo sa nagtitinda ng sorbetes sa hindi kalayuan.

I smiled as I watched his back.

I would be the luckiest girl if he'll choose me all over again. But at this moment, my hope is slowly evaporating like a liquid which turned into a soft smoke that arises to nowhere.

I immediately wiped up the tear that fell from my eye.

'It will be okay, Yannie. You can do it.'

Like what I've used to do, I encouraged myself again, trying to play courageous even though I could feel something breaking inside my chest.

I looked at the sky, hoping that it can ease the pain that is crippling inside my heart.

How come that our perfect love story has an unexpected twist? I've never seen that coming.

My sight is getting blurry as my tears started to pooled my eyes, so I immediately shoved them away.

It still hurts... like hell. Like I would never get used to it.

My heart clenched in pain as the memories flashed through my mind, like a video tape.

"I'll promise to marry you in the future, we'll build a family together, love. Want that, too?" I felt his soft lips kissed my hair, that was sweet.

I nodded as I tightened the hug. "I would love that."

My heart was filled with joy and contentment at the very moment. I won't wish for anything, anymore, because Samiel as a gift is beyond enough. Basta kasama ko siya, ayos na ako. Wala na akong mahihiling pa, nandito na siya sa harapan ko't kontento na ako rito.

"May I ask you something, love?"

"Hmm?" He hummed, shifting his gaze at me.

"What if one day, magkaroon tayo ng away, iyong malala at hindi na natin kayang ayusin..." I stopped and gave him a side glance, just to find him listening to me attentively, sporting his serious looking face while his forehead's knotted.

"What would you do?" I continued while playing with my fingers, worries gushing through me.

What should we do?

After that question, we enveloped by silence that made me look away.

"Look at me, love," he said that I immediately obliged. He reached for my chin as he motioned me to face him, so I did.

Our face was just an inch away. I felt his hands placed above my shoulder. "I love you, copy that?" I could feel his breath fanning my face. He looks serious and determined.

Natulala na lang ako sa g'wapo niyang mukha.

This man, I never imagined myself loving him, before. He's kinda weird, boisterous, and voluble, that I'm his perfect opposite.