{Chapter 13}

Kisses layed in bed after the events. Mimi just stared at her after she said that as if she said she wanted to kill someone. Maybe she was just a bit stunned but she didn't look upset, just as if she hadn't even thought of that in a long time. Sebastian seemed surprised too, he collected Kisses dish and told her that they should talk about this tomorrow as he gave Mimi a wary look.

Kisses looked up at the ceiling. The doll she held laid in her hands as she trickled her fingers through the ragdolls red hair.

"I thought… she wanted to find it" Kisses whispered to herself. For someone who takes the idea of being a follower so strongly she expected her to be a bit more excited.
Was Kisses dense?

Probably actually. She never really felt like she could perform a coherent thought a lot of the time, and her expectations tend to be so neutral that everything confused her. She was starting to feel stupid. The thought made her pout slightly as she tightened her grip on the doll.

She sighed, maybe she should try harder to understand people. It was just hard for her to emphasize a lot, sometimes it felt like it was hard to really emphasize with herself and what she felt either. Everything just felt really dull or really extreme, she liked it simple in her comforts and unchanging. Mimi never pressured her of course but she could try to communicate better, Mimi was pretty protective and lonely she could at least try.

Her thoughts kept her awake at night again, not being able to sleep properly again.

The daylight didn't crinkle through her curtains, since she had no windows in a rock house. The clock in front her bed let her know what time it was as it moved its hands around to match the numbers.

Kisses found herself staring at it a lot when she was in her bedroom, it passed the time easily and was an easy thing to concentrate on. The red hand specifically, that moves during the seconds. It let her feel in trance as she zoned out and let time move without her moving.

Kisses sat up on the bed. She placed the doll next to the pillows. The bed was kept unmade, she didn't like making it.

Going through the hallways she found one of the two fox maids that worked here walking by to the staircase. She pulled at her dress slightly alerting the fox of her presence.
"Do you know where Mimi is?" She asked simply.
The maid nodded and pointed to where the end of the hallway was, where Mimi's room was, before going back to what she was doing before leaving the hallway and walking again.

Kisses trailed over to where Mimi's room was and knocked faintly on it. It was a few seconds before Mimi opened the door.
"Oh! Kisses. What do you need Dear?" Mimi asked, a little surprised since Kisses hasn't ever knocked on her door before.

Kisses looked down awkwardly realizing she had to explain what she wanted now.
"Did I… Make you upset last night?" Kisses asked softly to which Mimi just chuckled.

"Of course not, I was just surprised." Mimi explained.
Kisses nodded still averting eye contact, she still felt a bit guilty although she didn't know why.
"I couldn't tell." Kisses admitted but nodded to tell Mimi she understood that she wasn't mad with her.

Mimi blushed slightly, feeling a bit embarrassed.
"Actually I do need to talk to you about last night though." Mimi stated but that conclusion was a bit more obvious to Kisses since she knew they would have to talk today since they couldn't last night.

Mimi smiled as Kisses nodded and took her hand to take her into her bedroom.
They sat down on the bed.

"I imagine that you would know that time has become infinite as time has gone on? Mother Nature did that, replacing time in this forest" Mimi explained.
"The heart is a literal subject, I'm guessing you assumed that with how you talk about it. It's a small human looking heart that powered the forest with a joy to lead us to community, leaving the forest with the heart means it would slowly dissolve. Of course, it must be in the forest since it hasn't dissolved but instead has grown angry."

Kisses listened closely. "It's hard to find something small, is that why most gave up?" Kisses asked wanting to confirm.

"Yes, I haven't even heard the recommendation in a long time. Most of my job now is taking care of this house. Making sure the woods doesn't try to crumble what I have built."

Kisses nodded. "Do you… Not want to find it?"

Mimi shook her head. "The followers used to be groups, it's how we kept the little community we had left. Once it was taking years to find the thing that connected us it drove us apart, we mostly remain single now. I try to still keep pride in that I was chosen. I simply don't want to disappoint Mother Nature or lose another person" She whispered the last part but Kisses could still hear her.

"I won't go." Kisses said bluntly but it was an honest attempt.

Mimi just chuckled in response looking at Kisses and reached her hand to brush part of Kisses black and white bangs out her face slightly smiling at her. Mimi was in a slight daze as Kisses confusingly looked at her.

Her thumb dragged down to her cheek. Kisses leaned down slightly into her hand still looking into her eyes with a dazed confusion.

"Right." Mimi said simply as she looked away, taking her hand with her.

"Well, you will be traveling with me, to make sure you don't get lost in there and can't find your way back." Mimi said simply as she sat up and patted down at her dress. The snakes on her head also seemed content at the moment if not a bit somber.

"We can go out in a week, I'll pack us some emergency equipment and some extra clothes in case anything happens. If we lose track of each other I'm sure you'll be able to find one of Ebony's followers and they can help you in the long run." Mimi said more to herself than to Kisses almost seeming as a way to calm herself down.

'You don't have a similar connection to the forest, I'm just blind enough to use my senses to connect with the world and can see just enough to look at a beating heart."

"You're blind?" Kisses said a little surprised.

"Kisses I'm albino, yes I'm blind. Not enough to need aid but I'm not exactly seeing the best" Mimi chuckled looking at Kisses surprised look.

"Oh." Kisses said embarrassed now.

Mimi took Kisses hands into her, trailing their eyes back to each other.
"Let us enjoy the rest of our day together okay?" Mimi said softly, her long eyelashes clouding her eyes.

Kisses nodded as she was brought up to stand upwards. Mimi placed a hand at Kisses back as she brought the both of them downstairs back into the kitchen.

Sebastian came from the back door in the kitchen. The backyard was the back of the rock inside the house, or the back of the mountain.

"Ah I see you two have talked about your plans? Seeing as you're talking again."

Mimi just hummed in return, not paying much attention to him as she sat Kisses down to push her seat in.
He had a slight dejected look on his face at being ignored. The smell of tea made a pleasant aroma around in the kitchen that Kisses tended to like. A comforting feeling always filled the air when something was being made, making the house feel more homey in a way Kisses appreciated.

Mimi dropped a cup of tea in front of Kisses making her perk up out of her daze. It was some form of sweet tea using the berries that she tended to like to eat, and only eat recently.

Kisses mumbled out a small thank you in response before taking a sip.