c h a p t e r 18

Tonight was the grand wedding day, and the palace was adorned with twinkling lights, casting a magical glow over the festivities. The air was filled with the scent of flowers and the soft murmurs of guests as they gathered in the banquet hall, where a magnificent mandap awaited the bride and groom to exchange their vows.

Parwati, resplendent in a purple lehenga and adorned with exquisite jewelry, stole a glance at Vikram, who sat patiently next to the pandit. However, there was a noticeable tension as the bride, Shivani, seemed to be taking longer than expected to make her entrance.

"I wonder what's taking Shivani so long?" Shivani's mother expressed her concern to Devi Ma, who nodded thoughtfully.

"I should probably go check on her" Shivani's mother muttered, contemplating her next move.

"Wait, I'll send someone to help her get here" Devi Ma replied, scanning the room until her gaze fell upon Parwati.

"Parwati!" Devi Ma called out, beckoning her over amidst the bustling crowd. "Beta, could you please go check on Shivani and bring her here? The time of the Murat is slipping away" she requested with urgency.

"Yes, of course" Parwati replied with determination, quickly making her way towards the bride's chamber, her steps echoing in the palace corridors.

Parwati's knuckles rapped lightly against the door before she entered Shivani's chamber, only to find the bride hastily pulling down the curtains, a bundle of her bridal attire still untouched on the bed.

"What are you doing, Shivani?" Parwati gasped, freezing the bride in her tracks.

Shivani spun around, startled at being caught, then hurriedly made her way to the door, slamming it shut before turning back to face Parwati.

"Was anyone else with you?" she asked, her voice tinged with urgency.

"What—no, Shivani, why aren't you dressed? Everyone's waiting for you downstairs" Parwati questioned, puzzled by Shivani's behavior.

"No, I'm not going downstairs. I can't marry Vikram" Shivani declared, her voice trembling with emotion.

"But—"

"Parwati, please, you must help me. I have to escape. I can't do this" Shivani pleaded, her grip tight on Parwati's hands.

"Shivani, what you're asking of me... I'm sorry, I cannot—"

"No, you don't understand, Parwati. I just can't. I can't marry a man I don't love!" Shivani's voice cracked with desperation, tears welling in her eyes.

Those words froze Parwati in place. Memories of her own loveless marriage to an older man, who turned out to have two other wives, flooded her mind. She understood all too well the agony of being trapped in such a union.

"Please, Parwati" Shivani implored, her voice a whisper filled with anguish.

Parwati clenched her eyes shut. Could she really stand by and watch another woman endure what she had suffered? The Maharaj might not be as cruel as her own husband, but did he truly love Shivani? And did it matter when Shivani did not love him in return? No, it didn't. Parwati couldn't bear to witness Shivani entering into a loveless marriage, trapped like she had been. Her conscience wouldn't allow it, especially when she had the power to intervene.

Taking a deep breath, Parwati opened her eyes and firmly gripped Shivani's hand. "You'll most certainly fall to your death if you try to escape through that window."

"Please don't—" Shivani began, but Parwati cut her off. "Listen to me. Walk out of this door, take the stairs at the farther end, and go to the stables. Pick a horse and ride away as fast as you can."