10: Who even am I?

A variety of fruits and vegetables were lined up on the kitchen counter, whilst Zane, one by one, blended them into purée for little Lumina to try.

"This bowl is broccoli," Zane informed Harumi as he passed it to her.

She took a small scoop from the edge of the bowl. "Open Lu, ahh!" she fed the mushy green stuff into her mouth. Lumina licked her lips, then wincing and frowning, the remnants dribbled out the corners of her mouth. Harumi lifted the bib on the baby's neck to wipe her mouth. "No? Do you want another spoon?" she fed the girl once more, but this time all of the food oozing out of her open mouth. "Maybe not," she chuckled at the baby, wiping her messy mouth.

"Perhaps Lumina would prefer a sweeter, and not so much bitter, strawberry, apples and pear purée," Zane suggested, sliding the bowl across the counter top to her.

"Lumi, ahh!" Harumi opened her mouth wide, gesturing for her to do the same, and fed her the reddy brown mush. She swallowed it down almost instantly, flapping her arms and legs, and opening her mouth wide open again. "More?" Harumi continued to scrape the left overs of the bowl clean, with each spoonful.

"Lumina seems to enjoy this one," Zane pointed out. He started to cut a section of the banana peel off and handed it to Harumi. "She needs to try banana, eggs, dairy and nuts at some point to see if she is allergic."

Lumina grabbed the half banana from her mother's hand and started to bite down on it. She hadn't grown any teeth yet, however she had already gotten the hang of sucking and biting on the banana.

"Hello Lumi!" Lloyd came over to them, "The high chair fits her well, I was worried it would be too big for her." he laughed. "Are you enjoying your banana?" he turned to his daughter, bending down to her level.

Lumina started to flap her arms and legs up and down in happiness and excitement, dropping her banana on the floor in the process. She took a couple seconds to process what just happened and then a pout started to form on her bottom lip.

"Uh oh! It's okay, Lu!" Harumi quickly rushed in to deescalate the situation before she would start bursting into a fit of tears.

Lloyd bent over to pick up the spoilt banana to throw it away, but Lumina leaned in to try and grab it from his hands. "No, Lu. This one's dirty, I'll get you a new one," he tried to explain to the baby. However, Lumina not understanding, she started to bang on her high chair and wriggle in her seat, a wail escaping her mouth and tears rolling down her soft cheeks. "Zane, cut up another for her." Once the banana was replaced, her crying instantly faded away, and she happily started to eat once more.

The three of them had a sigh of relief. The older Lumi got, the more often she'd cry during the day and the less she'd cry during the night. There was never any peace.

"Do you want to try feeding her?" Harumi asked Lloyd and Zane.

Lloyd snaked an arm round her waist, "Once she's done with that banana, yes. I wouldn't dare try and take it away while she's enjoying it," he joked.

"This is the last one, the dreaded chicken and mushroom," Zane poured the brown mush from the blender.

Lumina started to whine to get Lloyd's attention. "Finished?" he asked the baby, who gave the saliva covered banana back to him. "Thank you, Lumi. Can you say, 'All done!'?"

She flapped her arms onto her small table up and down, babbling some incoherent noises.

Harumi laughed at the sight, placing a peck on her forehead, "All done!"

Lumina caught sight of Lloyd stirring around some food in her little green bowl, babbling some more to get his attention. He quickly noticed his daughter's attention to detail and took a small spoonful for her.