part five

Madelyn's pov:

I woke up in the middle of the night. Another bad dream about my parents' accident and I'm standing there unable to do anything to prevent the disaster. I'll just watch it.

I sat up on the bed. My hair was sweaty and stuck to my forehead. I went to my bathroom and washed my face. I tried to go back to sleep, but I didn't succeed, so I went downstairs to drink a glass of water instead.

It was dim in the living room, and I tiptoed towards the kitchen as quietly as possible. I poured myself a glass of water, then started to walk back to my room with the water. Before I went back I checked on Bucky. He wheezed peacefully. "Maybe he won't have a nightmare today," I thought, then went back to my room. We probably have a mission tomorrow, so it would be good to get some sleep.

I closed the door behind me, drank some of my water, and checked my phone on my nightstand. Midnight. Great, if I fall asleep right now, I can sleep another six and a half hours. That's enough. I lay down, settled down and closed my eyes. Sleep failed again, so I did what everyone who has ever suffered from insomnia does. I was constantly calculating how much sleep I could get even if I could fall asleep that minute. If I fall asleep now, I will be able to sleep for exactly five hours and fifty-four minutes, I would just be overwhelmed by sleep! I settled down again and closed my eyes, but somehow I couldn't fall asleep. It must be because of the increased nervousness, because I was very nervous about the next day's mission. I opened my window and went back to my bed. There are only four hours left to sleep, and, that is not enough for anything! I tried the seemingly impossible task again, but I didn't succeed, so I threw my pillow against the wall in anger. I got up to put it on and went back to bed. The subway I used to take to school is about to leave, and I still can't sleep! In the end, fatigue won with a bang. A lot of thinking and overthinking drained me so much that sleep was suppressed.

In my dream, I was standing on the already well-known street, and then the usual images followed. Car, crash, ambulance, and I'm standing there doing nothing. I was pulled out of my usual nightmare by the sound of a bagpipe filtering in from the street.
My hair stuck to my sweaty forehead and as I looked at my phone's display, I realized that my old subway was just about to start. It was only six o'clock.

I took a shower and then struggled for over an hour trying to get rid of the dark circles under my eyes. After I did my makeup, i curled my hair, just to be sure that I look nice and then I head downstairs, straight to the kitchen to make myself breakfast.

No one was up yet, maybe Sam and Rogers, but they had probably gone for a run.

I calmly ate my breakfast and set off, because I wanted to meet with Adeleine before our meeting with Fury.

As I was walking down the hall, I bumped into someone.

"Oh oops, I'm sorry, it was an accident, I wasn't paying attent-" I started but the man interrupted me.

"It's okay sweetheart." The man sent me a charming smile. "I'm Rumlow by the way" he said.

"Madelyn." I smiled at him while I told my name.

"You have a really pretty name." he gently shook my hand.

"Thank you." I chuckled a little then saw Addie.

"Oh my godness, you won't believe what happened-" Adeleine started but stopped when she saw Rumlow. "Oh, hi Rumlow." she nodded to him.

"Adeleine." he nodded back while still holding my hand then he shifted his gaze back to me. "It was really nice to meet you, Madelyn. I hope we'll meet again." he kissed my hand and I slightly blushed.