51

Time seemed to fly by once Christmas had passed and before you knew it the new year was right around the corner.
Although you had lived in New york for a few years now you still felt drawn to the new year's ball drop. The crowds were always hectic, but that was somehow comforting. Knowing that everyone around you was celebrating created a sense of community, despite knowing none of the people on a personal basis.

This year Janice wanted to bring Lyle along to the event. You had no objections to this as Hobie would also be attending. Janice and Lyle seemed to get serious rather quickly. You hoped that he would be different, most of the time you didn't like the people Janice dated. Mostly because you feared she would get hurt.

Sitting in the car with Hobie the two of you were making the journey to time square. Hobies hand lay gently on your thigh his eyes glued to the road paying close attention to avoid crashing in the chaotic traffic.

"Something on your mind?", Hobie asked turning down the music. You must've appeared very deep in thought for him to notice with all his attention on the road.

"I guess I'm just not sure about this Lyle guy", you explained placing your hand a top of his giving it a gentle squeeze.

"What's off putting?", he asked curiously.

"Nothing really. I guess it's because I don't know him and things already seem so serious between them", you explained. Hearing your explanation Hobie laughed a little.

"Can you imagine how Janice must've felt about you and I?", He justified.

He was right. Janice was extremely worried the day you told her you were going with him. She was also nervous when you came to work tired after being out late with him. She seemed to begin worrying about you and him before you even considered the fact that you were falling in love.

The two you shared a few drinks upon reaching home. Hobie must've been a heavyweight as you certainly felt it before he seemed to. After an hour or two of drinks you nervously awaited Janices arrival.

As if on cue your phone buzzed with a notification from Janice notifying you that her and Lyle were outside.

"Ready for this?", he laughed reading the message over your shoulder.

"Mind your own business nosey" you replied with a laugh putting your hand on his forehead and gently shoving him away.

Offering you your bag you reluctantly took it, still partially dreading meeting this guy. Hobie lead the way opening the door for you.

"You youngings going out on New year's Eve?", Mrs Snell greeted exiting her apartment a wide grin on her face. She must've been right by the door to have heard you guys leaving.

"Yeah. Meeting some new friends too Mrs Snell", Hobie replied locking up the apartment and draping an arm over your shoulders.

"Oh, how lovely. Well you kids have fun. Don't stay out too late", she continued endearingly.

"Bye Mrs Snell", Hobie said as you continued down the hall giving her a small wave as a farewell as she returned to her apartment.

Although it was still light outside the city was already bustling. Loud music seemed to be coming from everywhere, cars seemed to be endlessly flying down the street and everyone was hollering the classic "happy new year".

"Y/N!", Janice called running and greeting you with a hug.
"I've missed you", she continue practically crushing your ribs in her embrace.

"It's nice to see you too Janice", you replied

"Come I'm so excited for you guys to meet", she said finally releasing you from the embrace and waving over who you presumed to be Lyle.

"Lyle. This is Y/N and Hobie. Guys, Lyle my boyfriend", Janice introduced Hobie was first to shake his hand seeming a little hostile. His previous laid-backness had disappeared and he was slightly cautious.

Shaking his hand afterward you were careful to read all his expressions. He seemed a little nervous and slightly shaken from the previous harsh glare. A tension had quickly built, neither one of you sure what to make of him.

"Ready to go then?", Janice interjected cutting all the tension seeming almost oblivious.

"Of course", you replied matching her excited manner.

Beginning the long walk to avoid traffic. You and Hobie fell back slightly watching how Janice spoke to Lyle.

"Thoughts?",

"Not sure yet", Hobie replied. The two of you exchanged glances before turning your attention back to the two. One thing you could tell for certain is that Janice was happy. She wanted this to work, she wanted you to like and approve him. Shooting a glance backwards Janice noticed how far back you'd fallen and stopped walking for the two of you to catch up.

Before you knew it you had arrived, massive crowd of people had already gathered.
With the masses of people it didn't take long for Lyle and Janice to get seperated. Hobie kept a tight grip on your waist being sure you wouldn't get seperated. In a brief moment you'd gone from the mosh pit like ground to the air. People seemed to enthralled in their own conversations and the fast approaching new year to even notice. Sitting atop a nearby building you finally felt able to relax. Resting your head on Hobies shoulder he wrapped an arm around your waist pulling you in close. The night was cold, but not unbearably so, maybe it was the alcohol still in your system keeping you slightly warmer.

The two of you talked for what felt like hours and before you knew it, the countdown to midnight was about to begin.
The chorus of excited counting began as the numbers appeared on the screen. Until finally the ball dropped.

"Happy new year Hobie",

"Happy new year", he replied kissing your cold lips. Although the night was cold he somehow was so warm.

"I love you", you whispered placing your hand on his cheek pulling him into another kiss.

"I love you too", he replied barely pulling away from the kiss.