Liar, Liar

"Why didn't you tell him?"

"At first the memories were too fresh. Then, it would have raised too many questions," Nico rasped, his breathing slowing after his episode of panic, he'd peeled his jacket off in an attempt to regulate his temperature. "Or it would have answered his suspicions."

He gestured at the soulmark tainting his skin, the pair of hyacinths that marked his right hand.

At Percy's confused expression, Nico explained, "He's got a soulmark on his chest... a pomegranate branch, with seven falling seeds."

"Oh." Percy sighed, seating himself on the floor beside Annabeth.

"It doesn't matter now. He figured out what we were after I left." Nico just said, racking a hand over his face. It came away wet from his tears.

"I didn't want to hurt them," he whispered.

"We know." Annabeth said, "You could have, and you didn't."

"I wanted to." Gods he was a monster.

"I wanted to as well," Percy admitted, "And I didn't go through what you did."

Nico glanced at him sidelong.

"Why did you help me?"

"Why wouldn't I?"

"I left." Nico said simply. "I- I left all of you."

Percy's sea green eyes pierced his as he said, "I really missed you, Nico."

Shit. Shit. Shit.

He needed to get out here now. The Arai's would already be reporting back to the Goddess about who came to his aid. If she found him now, they'd all be at risk.

"I need to leave." Nico said, standing up on weak legs.

Percy's face fell, disappointment coating his features.

It was Annabeth that said, "What about the wards?"

"You're the wise one? Got any bright ideas?" Nico fired back.

"Nico, you need to rest, you were dying a day ago, you can't just walk that kind of thing off!" Annabeth said, "Besides, ward magic is fickle, only children of Hecate really understand them."

Nico let himself gaze out the wide window of the living room, watching the streets of New Rome outside the apartment. Demigods and legacies moving about peacefully...smiling, laughing, free. Nico pushed down the longing that filled his chest as he watched them all. He was not like them, he never would be.

He must have been silent for a few minutes when Annabeth tried again, "Nico, where have you been?"

Arai flashed in his mind, Empousai and flocks of Stymphalian Birds that clawed at his skin. Akhlys in her tattered dress, hunting him, taunting him. "You will be mine once more, Nico di Angelo."

Nico just shrugged at the two demigods, his attention not leaving the window. He would not drag them into this mess. Let them live in peace.

Percy spoke this time, "Nico, why were the Arai after you? How are they out of Tartarus?"

Nico couldn't stop himself from flinching at its name, memories threatening to collapse the little control he still had of himself.

Red clouds. Roaring waters. Fractured glass splintering his skin.

Annabeth's eyes narrow at the sudden movement, observing.

"Nico, if you'd just let us help you." Annabeth pleaded, stepping in front of him and blocking the view of the street below.