Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE

ROSELIGHT | THUNDERCLAN CAMP

Roselight yawned, truthfully bored. Surprisingly, Honeystar was a great leader, but Roselight didn't think it would last. His act would eventually chip away.

    The Gathering was that night and cats were anxious to get going. Roselight watched the Gathering patrol leave through the bodies of her guards, frowning when she saw Honeystar still sitting atop of his rock.

    Wasn't he going? Dread filled her, her mind tracing back to the night she was taken here as a captive.

    "Are we ready?" Honeystar's voice pierced the now-quiet camp's atmosphere. His gaze traveled to the nursery, where ears were clearly not meant to hear what he said next. He jumped off of his rock, gathering the remaining warriors. Roselight practically had to place her ear on the guard's back to hear. "We'll have to make a stop along the way to meet up with the rogues, but after that..." Roselight pulled away, knowing what he'd say next.

    She had to act quickly. Make a scene or something.

    Without a clear plan, she jumped out between her guards, letting out a yowl and bushing her tail.

    Every cat was looking at her, bewildered by her sudden outburst.

    Honeystar snapped out of it first, narrowing his green eyes at her. Before he even asked what was wrong with her, she cried aloud.

    "There's... there's a spider in there!" she tried to keep the charade going, so she hopped away from the den, back arching.

    A warrior snorted at her, but she ignored him. This was quite embarrassing, but she'd do anything to sidetrack Honeystar.

    "Check the den for this... spider." Honeystar was either disbelieving there was a spider in there or couldn't quite believe she was afraid of a spider.

    A cat ducked into the den, coming back out a couple seconds later, shaking their head. "No sign."

    "W-Well, it's gone now since I was so loud." Roselight grinned nervously, feeling a little pathetic now. "I don't want to go back in there."

    Honeystar was definitely catching on, but he played along to her surprise, eyes dancing with an emotion she couldn't name. "Of course, Roselight. Join us on our patrol instead."

    Roselight froze, jaw moving but no words were coming out. "I-I-" was the best she could do.

    "What? Do you want to go back to the spider-filled den?" Honeystar was enjoying this, watching her every move with a smirk.

    If she said yes, every cat would realize she had lied and was just being a nuisance - and she honestly didn't care if they did know. If she said no... well... it wouldn't be as bad as she first thought.

    "No, I want to come." Roselight finally meowed, dropping her gaze.

    Honeystar wordlessly turned around, leading the way out of the camp. Roselight kept her eyes focused on the frosty grass beneath her, ignoring the comments being made about her.

    They arrived at the WindClan border after a few minutes of walking.

    "I didn't think you'd actually come." A cat meowed, and Roselight flinched, recognizing it. Her fear drove her eyes to the source of the voice.

    "We were delayed. I wouldn't have let anything stop me." Honeystar meowed. She knew the last sentence was meant for her.

    Egret hadn't noticed her, something Roselight was thankful for. She positioned herself behind a taller warrior, desperate to keep it that way.

    "We're ready whenever you are." Honeystar spoke again, tail twitching.

    Egret nodded and Honeystar began leading. Egret's rogues filed in beside the ThunderClan cats, making a few bristle with contempt.

    Most conveniently, Ashen showed up by her side, but he wasn't paying attention to her.

    "Ashen?" Roselight whispered, heart lifting. A friend!

    Ashen glanced at her, surprised to see her. "Rose! It's you-"

    "Keep your voice down." Roselight hissed. She was about to say more, but she heard Egret speak and tensed visibly.

    "Why don't we just cross the water right now?"

    Honeystar kept walking beside the water. "There's a fallen tree up ahead we can use to cross."

    "But swimming is easier."

    Honeystar's fur rippled with unease. "I'm using the fallen tree. You may go ahead and swim."

    Egret snorted. "Are you afraid of water?"

    "Aren't we all?"

    I don't like it, but I'll swim in it. Roselight kept that to herself. She knew Honeystar hated water and would do anything to stay dry.

    Egret and some ThunderClan cats dived into the water. Roselight quickly asked Ashen to stay with her, and he did.

    When they arrived at the log, Roselight stepped onto it, beginning to shake. She was about to step on WindClan territory, her territory. But this patrol wasn't to return her. Any cat could see with a patrol this big, bad things were to come.

    She jumped down from the log, ears flattened.

    "Is something wrong?" Ashen landed beside her.

    "Yes. Don't you know?" Roselight turned to him, voice barely a whisper.

    "That I'm getting a permanent base? Of course!" Ashen didn't know. He didn't know they were about to push a Clan away.

    Roselight walked faster, nostrils flaring. Perhaps he did.

    "You know you have to fight for it, right?" she didn't face him.

    Ashen took a while to reply. "I do know. But I'd do anything for my kittens, and they're eager to finally stop living our nomadic lives."

    Roselight didn't respond to him. Would he be against it if she were to tell him it was her Clan?

    That'd only cause confusion. She speculated. She'd just have to trip cats up, darting beneath their paws or shoving them over. Wait... it's the night of the Gathering.

    She had forgotten about that. WindClan would be heavily outnumbered and once the Gathering patrol would return, they'd be ambushed and driven away.

    Oh StarClan, I hope you are on our side.

---