Chapter Eighteen

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

SWIFTLAKE | RIVERCLAN CAMP

Swiftlake hadn't confronted Marigoldstar (or Waveheart for that matter), but today was the day. Three days after the battle, Swiftlake deemed it was about time to kick a traitor out of camp.

    Swiftlake walked across camp to Marigoldstar's den and didn't wait for Marigoldstar to invite her in. She stormed right in, startling Marigoldstar out of her doze.

    "Swiftlake!" Marigoldstar straightened her posture, eyes sharp. "What's wrong?"

    "Nothing." Swiftlake curled her lip with disgust, snarling. "Except for the fact Waveheart's a fleabag." She took a breath to say more, but Marigoldstar cried out before her.

    "What?" Marigoldstar's eyes shadowed with confusion. "Swiftlake, you can't go around insulting your Clanma-"

    "No, Marigoldstar! She's a traitor!" Swiftlake rounded on her leader, tail fur bushed. Alright, so maybe she did sound like she was insulting Wavheart solely at first, but that was meant for a greater purpose.

    Marigoldstar narrowed her eyes. "Swiftlake, you have to explain. How is she a traitor? If anything, she's the perfect deputy."

    Shock and Marigoldstar's words made Swiftlake freeze in her frustrated pace. Her jaw opened but only croaky sounds escaped her mouth.

    "Wh-what? Her - deputy?" her words became tongue-tied, and she had to stop herself before she embarrassed herself.

    "Oh, yes! She shows great leadership and she trained Troutwhisker very well." Marigoldstar rose into a sitting position, forgetting all about Swiftlake's earlier rant. "Don't you agree?"

    Swiftlake was still tongue-tied. "Didn't you - what? No! Aren't you...?" she stopped herself, grinding her teeth. This wasn't her usual self. She didn't like the feeling of hatred and anger, but she couldn't feel any other way toward Waveheart. "Waveheart..." she took a deep breath, calming herself. "Waveheart warned ThunderClan that we were working with WindClan. Remember, on the day of the battle, when Waveheart said she had been hunting and was late? She had ran all the way to ThunderClan and warned them."

    Marigoldstar's brows furrowed and she objected. "Why in the name of StarClan would she do that?"

    "I don't know." Swiftlake meowed, blinking slowly. "But if I were you, I wouldn't choose her. I'd exile her."

    Marigoldstar's expression hardened. "Go, please."

    Swiftlake stood up and exited the den without a word. Had she gotten through to Marigoldstar?

    No, she seemed angry at you. Swiftlake's thoughts kicked in. She's confused and disbelieving.

    Swiftlake sat down, tail twitching. Could she tell Softfur? Swiftlake lifted her eyes to the medicine cat den, but before she could go through with her second option, Hailhop padded up to her, smiling.

    "Leopardspots just told me you and Rainyfoot are a thing. How long have you guys been together?" he asked.

    "About a moon or so." Swiftlake answered absentmindedly, looking into her brother's eyes. "We haven't interacted recently, though." She looked past him, frustration clawing her belly. Of course he had to choose this day to catch up with her.

    "You probably should." Hailhop remarked matter-of-factly.

    "It's hard." Swiftlake looked back at him, ears flattening slightly.