Chapter Twenty

CHAPTER TWENTY

ROSELIGHT | GATHERING ISLAND

It was crazy to think how she missed a Gathering and a half-moon meeting while she was kept in ThunderClan camp. Standing in the middle of the island now, she was exhilarated to be back. The loud chatter, the laughter... oh StarClan, everything was nearly perfect. Nearly.

    She noticed the leaders wrapping up their little talk, so she padded to where the other medicine cats sat, taking a seat between Rowanmask and Softfur.

    "The Gathering has commenced!" Snowstar yowled, stepping forward. Any conversations faded away until there was an expectant silence, waiting for Snowstar to begin. Snowstar began. "SkyClan has been doing well. However, I have a question for Honeystar."

    Roselight swore she heard Beestar mutter: "So do I."

    Roselight craned her head to see the leaders, and they glanced at Beestar with curiosity.

    "One of your warriors - or apprentices, I'm not too sure - has joined our Clan. Hazelwillow." Gasps came from the crowd. ThunderClan seemed particularly shocked. "Why has she left ThunderClan?"

    Honeystar's feathery-like tail swished thoughtfully. "Has she not told you?"

    Snowstar said nothing, not revealing anything. However, Honeystar somehow saw straight through her.

    "So she has." Honeystar meowed. "I gave her the option to come back to ThunderClan." Roselight was growing rapidly confused. What had happened to Hazelwillow; was she kicked out?

    "Did you also give her the option to join SkyClan?" Snowstar asked warily.

    "She did say she was going to give SkyClan a visit." Honeystar replied. "We can discuss this after the Gathering, Snowstar. Continue, please."

    Snowstar let out a defeated sigh. "Prey has been running well in SkyClan. That is all."

    Marigoldstar stepped forward next. Roselight noticed Beestar lurched forward, but he stepped back to let the older she-cat go.

    "RiverClan has been decent." Marigoldstar began, eyes darting over to Honeystar. "Stonethroat died a few days ago, so Waveheart has stepped up to the rank of deputy." Marigoldstar inhaled sharply, taking a step back. "That is all."

    "What?!" Beestar jumped up, beating Snakestar. "Have you completely forgotten about the battle, Marigoldstar?"

    Murmurs erupted from the crowd at these words.

    "A battle between RiverClan and WindClan?"

    "Why didn't Marigoldstar announce this?"

    "What? When?"

    "Silence!" Beestar lashed his tail. "ThunderClan attacked WindClan with a group of rogues. RiverClan was there, but we ultimately lost. We were kicked out of our territory for a few days before returning with the help of RiverClan." Beestar turned to Honeystar, a ghost of a smirk forming on his face. "Not so innocent now, Honeystar?"

    Roselight would've expected Honeystar to be cowering against the tree from all the glares, but he promptly stepped forward, a calm look settled on his face.

    "I did attack WindClan... and that was very foolish of me." Honeystar sent Beestar an apologetic look, but Roselight's leader glowered at him. "The power got to my head and I got taken away. It was like a whole new me that I hope never comes out again."

    Roselight didn't know how to feel. He was so genuine, so innocent-sounding... but a prick in her brain told her he was just lying. But then again there was that chance he was honest...

    "I understand if you're bitter for the coming moons, Beestar, but hopefully we can put that battle in the past and move on." Honeystar meowed softly.

    Beestar inclined his head stiffly. "Hopefully," he replied through gritted teeth.

    "Is there anything else you'd like to say, Beestar?" Honeystar asked curtly.

    "We have a new apprentice, Sunpaw." Beestar glared daggers at Honeystar before stepping back.

    Snakestar jumped forward, shooting a glance in Honeystar's direction. The gold-furred tom was still seated, indicating the old tom can go first.

    "ShadowClan has been well!" Despite the fact Snowstar was older than Snakestar, he sounded ancient, voice raspy and quiet. He coughed over and over after that. The medicine cats shot questioning looks at Tawnythorn and Seedpaw, but the two shrugged. "Prey has been plentiful-" that was hard to believe. All the ShadowClan cats were skinnier than usual, "-that is all."

    It was Honeystar's turn. He stepped forward, smiling. "ThunderClan has been doing phenomenally well. I'm pleased to welcome two new apprentices into our ranks, Ryepaw and Lizardpaw."

    "Lizardpaw! Ryepaw!"

    "That is all." Honeystar stepped back.

    Snowstar took over. "Talk amongst yourselves. The leaders have some things to discuss."

    Roselight stretched her limbs one-by-one, shaking her dark ginger fur. She decided to seek out some of her friends. She told Rowanmask, but he barely paid attention, already deep into conversation with Mintleaf.

    "Hey, Roselight!" a ginger-and-cream she-cat padded up to her. Roselight identified her as Swiftlake and waved her tail in greetings.

    "Hi, Swiftlake." Roselight meowed, settling herself next to Swiftlake. "How have you been?"

    "Good... for the most part. And tired. Very tired. These past few days have forced me to stay awake during the daytime." Swiftlake yawned.

    Somewhere in Roselight's mind reminded her Swiftlake was nocturnal, but she was shocked nonetheless.

    "You sleep through the day?!" Roselight gasped, eyes growing as wide as the full moon out that night.

    Swiftlake shot her a funny look. "Didn't you know? Oh, well. Yeah... it's been really strange. I don't know who to trust anymore, you know?" Swiftlake's pale amber eyes stared into Roselight's dark yellow ones.

    "I know how you feel." Roselight concurred, eyes drifting up to where the leaders stood. Her eyes snapped back to Swiftlake when she spoke again, but she truly didn't hear what the warrior rambled about, only catching bits like "traitor" and "warned ThunderClan". Those words didn't mean much to Roselight, but when Marigoldstar rounded RiverClan up to go, Roselight suddenly processed the bits of information she got from Swiftlake.

    "Swiftlake!" she called, but the roar of voices drowned her yowl out.

    RiverClan left swiftly and after that ThunderClan left. Beestar gathered up his Clan, so Roselight padded over, sidling up next to Dawnstream.

    "Hey," she murmured to her sister.

    Dawnstream glanced at her, ears perking with happiness. "Roselight! I have lots of things to tell you-!"

    "Time to go, WindClan!" Beestar's yowl was directed at Cloudpaw and Volepaw, who were trying to finish up their conversation with some ShadowClan apprentices. They ducked their heads, embarrassed to be the ones yelled at, and left the ShadowClan apprentices without another word.

---