The Central Tavern

June 1986

It was the day of the Soundgarden show. I had woken up earlier than I ever had, and I think it was simply because I excited. Excited to go out with Susan....and see Chris again. 

Because I woke up so early, I decided to drive to J&M Cafe. I quickly throw on some denim jeans, an old Lynyrd Skynyrd tee, black flannel, and my Converse. I grab my truck keys and drive off.

I arrive at J&M Cafe, and I sit down in a booth right next to the window, the sun shining bright and making the whole room glow bright. I order a yogurt parfait and some black coffee. I decided to bring my sketch book and doodle. I've always loved drawing horror type things. Sometimes, I even draw random people I see out in the city. I receive my order and dig in. 

As I was finishing up, I notice a tall figure walk into the cafe. He wore a plain black tee, denim jeans, and a leather jacket. As he walks in, he notices me. I shoot him a smile and he began to walk over. 

"Why hello there." He says with a smile. 

"Hey there stranger. Would you like to sit down?" I offer him. 

"Yeah, thanks." Chris then sits across from me in the booth and the waiter comes over to take his order. "Just some black coffee, thanks." He tells the waiter. The waiter then quickly returns with his drink. 

"So, I haven't seen you in a while." Chris says, sipping on his coffee. 

"I know, sorry about that. I've just been busy with work and everything." I tell him. 

"Hey that's cool. I was just getting worried that I may never see you again." 

I look at him and smile. Of the few times I have actually seen Chris, I never really looked at him. The sun was shining perfectly on him through the window, allowing me to finally get a good look at him. His skin was somewhat fair, and he had the slightest freckles speckled across his nose. His face appeared to be freshly shaven. His lips were pink and pouty. He had the most incredible dark curls and framed eyebrows. But the one thing that I quickly fell in love with was his eyes. His eyes were a perfect mix of hazel, blue, and a touch of grey. 

I eventually snap back in reality when Chris asks me a question. 

"Do you plan on seeing the band tonight with Susan?" He asks me. 

"Actually yeah. And I'm really excited to. You guys did amazing last time I saw you, and I'm sure tonight will be even better." I smile at him. 

He blushes and returns the smile. "Thanks. We actually just got a new drummer, Matt. So, tonight is actually the first show with him. Maybe tonight you can finally meet the band."

"I'd like that. Sounds like a plan." I say giving him a shy smile. 

The waiter than returns. "Would you two like anything else?" 

"We are good, I believe." I say. I begin to reach into my bag to pay for my meal and Chris' drink when Chris gently places his hand on mine to stop me. I look at him confused. 

"Please let me. I'm the one who crashed your me-time." Chris says with a smile. He then hands the waiter cash to pay for us. 

I smile at Chris and we both get up from the booth and walk outside to my truck. 

"It was good to actually speak with you Chris. Thanks again for paying. I really owe you." 

"It was great to see you too. And if you want to owe me back, just make sure to come to the show. If you show up, you are no longer in my debt." He says with a slight smile.