5

In the morning I woke up in haze as I recall my dream from last night. It was about my mum. And my life in the past. Memories. I get up and walk through the hall past my dad's room where his bed hadn't even been slept in. How strange? Maybe he slept on the couch. I go into the kitchen and see an envelope on the table with a cassette tape next to it. I open the envelope and it contains some money and a piece of paper, "CERTIFICATE OF LIVE BIRTH." I sprint to my window and find that the driverway is completely empty. No, this can't actually be happening. I set up the cassette tape and begin to listen. As the recording starts to play I wonder around the house and I come face to face with my dad's wardrobe. It's practically empty. He's taken everything that he needed and left. But he still left his canvas work jacket. I hear my dad's voice through the headphones from the recording.
"I've got some things to say and then I want you to make sure this tape is good and destroyed. Don't keep it because it's got my voice on it. You aren't going to see me again." What? No. I have no choice but to continue to listen. "I can't... help you anymore. I can't do anything else, either: go to the cops or whatever somebody might do in my place. So I've got to leave you to figure it out for yourself. You know what I mean now."

I lie in bed, trembling, thinking of nothing but how alone I truly am now. I have nobody. I have to do everything for myself I cannot rely on anyone anymore. I've been abandoned. All I want is my dad back, closure. I decide to get up and go to his room and put his jacket on, the smell of him still lingering. "I don't know how much of what I'm about to say you remember. Maybe you honestly don't. I've never been sure. Some of it goes way back. But just in case, I'll say everything I know." Sleeping in my dad's jacket and bed was a lot easier than trying to sleep in my lifeless room.