chapter 24

Lan Zhan's condition was deteriorating along with Wei's. He was torn between his love for Wei and the guilt of what he had done to him. Each day weighed heavily on his conscience, knowing that he was the cause of Wei's suffering. Yet, he remained by Wei's side, determined to care for him and make amends for his past actions. The burden of responsibility and remorse gnawed at him, but he refused to give up on Wei, clinging to the hope that they could find healing and redemption together.

Lan Zhan's voice cut through the stillness of the morning, gently rousing Wei from his slumber. With a sense of determination, Lan Zhan prepared breakfast, each action deliberate and methodical. As Wei stirred, still lost in the remnants of sleep, Lan Zhan's words pierced the air, a reminder of the reality they faced. "Wei, get ready," he said, his tone firm yet tinged with a hint of concern. "We need to go to the hospital."

In the dimly lit hospital room, Wei lay on the bed, his body a canvas painted with the scars of his past torment. The doctor's words cut through the silence like a knife, revealing the extent of Wei's suffering. "Wei's condition," the doctor began, his voice heavy with the weight of the truth, "is worse than we feared. The abuse he endured has left deep physical and psychological scars." As Lan Zhan listened, his heart clenched with anguish, knowing that Wei had borne unbearable pain in silence.

The doctor's diagnosis painted a grim picture: fractures healed but leaving behind jagged reminders of past violence, internal injuries festering unseen, and psychological trauma etched into every fiber of Wei's being. Each examination uncovered a new layer of agony, a testament to the cruelty that Wei had endured.

As Lan Zhan looked upon Wei's battered form, he felt a surge of helplessness wash over him. The sight of Wei's brokenness was a stark reminder of the brutality that lurked in the shadows, threatening to consume them both. In that moment, Lan Zhan vowed to do whatever it took to heal Wei's wounds, both seen and unseen, and to shield him from further harm. But deep down, he knew that some scars ran too deep to ever truly fade away.
As Lan Zhan escorted Wei out of the hospital, the weight of their shared pain hung heavy in the air. With each step, Lan Zhan felt the burden of responsibility pressing down upon him, a silent vow to protect Wei from further harm. The journey home was filled with a solemn silence, punctuated only by the occasional rustle of leaves and the distant hum of passing cars.

Arriving back at their home, Lan Zhan guided Wei to the familiar surroundings of their sanctuary. The warmth of the familiar walls offered a fleeting sense of comfort amidst the storm of uncertainty that raged within them. Lan Zhan's heart ached as he watched Wei, his once vibrant spirit now dimmed by the weight of his suffering.

With gentle hands, Lan Zhan helped Wei settle into bed, tucking the blankets around him like a shield against the world outside. Standing vigil by Wei's side, Lan Zhan vowed to stand as his protector, a silent guardian against the horrors that lurked in the shadows.

As the night stretched on, Lan Zhan kept a watchful eye over Wei, his presence a silent reassurance in the darkness. And as the first light of dawn crept over the horizon, Lan Zhan knew that their journey was far from over, but with Wei by his side, he was determined to face whatever lay ahead.

Lan Zhan's voice was barely a whisper, yet it carried the weight of his anguish. "What have you done, Lan Zhan?" he questioned himself, the words echoing through the quiet room. With each syllable, he felt the weight of his actions pressing down upon him, a heavy burden that threatened to crush his very soul.

He stood there, consumed by a sense of guilt and remorse, his heart heavy with regret. The consequences of his choices loomed large before him, casting a shadow over everything he held dear. And as he gazed upon Wei, his once vibrant spirit now dimmed by suffering, Lan Zhan knew that he could never undo the pain he had caused.