Chapter Seventeen: White Crown Knight

Gator had stripped Madoc of his varsity jacket and shoes for himself, and Sparrow had gagged him so he couldn't speak. He was cold and alone and as much as he tried to tell himself not to be afraid, he was absolutely terrified. 

It wasn't even Ryan and the others that scared him as much. It was the idea that he could be forgotten here, or left to die, and that no one would know what had happened to him. He would be a ghost, haunting his family and friends for the rest of their lives. Madoc did not want to be a ghost. They had dealt with enough of them, and he did not want to add to their number.

A light went on. Sparrow placed a flashlight in the middle of the cave, giving Madoc an apologetic glance. She muttered something incoherent as she slinked to the other end of the cavern. Behind her, Gator and Possum followed from where he assumed Ryan had dragged himself through however long ago. He had lost sense of time.

Gator wore Madoc's jacket zipped up to his chin. "I'm Captain Magnolia," he crowed. He flapped his arms about and leaped into the air. "Look at how pretty I am."

Sparrow scowled. "It's Captain Dhillon."

"Who cares," Gator said. He prodded Madoc's leg with his boot. "He couldn't take us, could he? Not so strong." 

Madoc stared at him without blinking and Gator's grin faded. He stuck his tongue out at Madoc and danced away, crashing into Possum.

Madoc pulled on the cuffs that bound him to the wall. He also tried to discern what else they had taken besides his jacket and shoes. He could feel his clips and wallet in his right pocket, and his broken d.Eye at his throat. Madoc wondered why they hadn't taken those things, they were all more valuable than his clothes.

Gator stuffed his hands into the pockets. He stuck his tongue out again. "Empty. Hey, Corb, think the Black Phoenix will let me keep this jacket? It'd be wicked useful."

"No," Sparrow said immediately. She turned to Possum. "She's not gonna let you keep the shoes either."

Possum shrugged and continued plodding back and forth.

Madoc shivered again. His jaw ached from the cloth bound around his mouth.

"I'm getting bored," Gator sighed.

"Just shut up and sit down."

Gator kicked Possum in the stomach. Even then they didn't make a sound, they just reeled backwards and landed on the ground, looking up at Gator with a hurt expression.

Sparrow stood between them. "Stop that!"

Gator reached for her wild curly hair and grabbed a fist full of it. "Make me."

Sparrow threw her fist at him, but Gator dodged it and laughed. "Why they put you in charge, I'll never know—"

A dark shadow shifted from the entrance, but Gator did not notice. For a moment, Madoc thought it was the Black Phoenix, but then realized it was Ryan's form that shouldered through the narrow passage.

Sparrow shrank.

Gator's grin widened. "That's right, bi—"

Ryan plucked the back of the jacket and lifted him off the ground. His voice echoed and rumbled through the cave. "What was that?"

Gator choked and grabbed his throat.

"I can't hear you, Gator. Speak up. What did you call Sparrow?"

Gator kicked helplessly. "S— So—"

"What?"

"Sorry," Gator gasped.