Chapter Twelve: Black and White

Adam felt sick.

He had one thing to do tonight, and the thought of doing it made him feel like throwing up. It didn't help in the slightest that all guests were now seated at dinner, and he was surrounded by people who wished to have conversation with him.

Thankfully, at his end of the table, the Frenician King and princes were attracting the most attention. There was no one to notice Adam or suspect him for anything. Unfortunately.

He glanced at Madoc, next to him. Adam was going to have to send Madoc away soon. The Black Crown had promised he would be safe, but Adam was terrified. Could he truly trust the Black Phoenix? What if Madoc got hurt? But if he didn't send Madoc, the Black Crown would release evidence that Adam had reached out to them. That he had offered his allegiance.

What had he done? 

Halfway through dinner, Madoc turned to Adam. "By the way, did you remember to take my bike back to the lab?"

Adam gave him a blank stare. "What?" 

"Is it at your house?"

He could put a stop to all this right now. He could. Madoc would forgive him. Maybe not the others, but Madoc would. "I... forgot it."

Madoc waited expectantly for Adam to elaborate. "... at home?"

Stop! Now!

"At Phoenix Falls." The words tumbled out of Adam's mouth. Like he was out of control of his own body. 

"Phoenix Falls?" Madoc asked, surprised. "What were you doing out there?" 

"Sorry," Adam said. "You should probably get it before you go home tonight." 

Madoc gave him an incredulous look. "Are you kidding? You get my bike." 

Adam held up his glass. "I've been drinking." 

Madoc rolled his eyes. "Adam, you are a terrible friend." 

"I know," Adam sighed. "If you don't get it tonight, you'll get twice the demerits too." 

"Unbelievable." Madoc pushed his seat back. "You knew they'd ground my riding privileges and you still left it out there. This is exactly like you. Asshole."

Iris frowned from across the table. "Let me take care of it," she said, shooting Adam a dirty look. If she only knew what he had done. Adam prayed she never found out.

Madoc shook his head. "No, no. I'll go get it. Phoenix Falls isn't too far, anyway."

Adam stared at the red wine in his glass, feeling his breath turning shallow. It wasn't too late to warn him. It wasn't too late to back out. But then everyone would know...

Adam jumped as Madoc clasped his shoulder. "Hey, I'm not that mad at you. Don't worry about it, okay? Cheer up." He grinned at him, giving him a thumbs up.

"Thanks," Adam said weakly. 

He didn't know know what was worse, being a coward or a traitor, but maybe it didn't matter, since he was obviously now both.