Chapter Twenty-One: Fang of the Wolf

Silver trees with glowing orbs at the end of their metal branches lit Adam's midnight walk through the cemetery. The Seven Reflections Memorial was deep within the gardens, in the middle of the vast cemetery grounds. Adam visited it once a year, on Reflection Day, but had never seen it without it's crowds. Being here alone, in the dead of night, felt more of a sacred experience than he had ever felt in any of the holy houses in his entire life. 

Then again, Adam figured, it might just be from the anticipation of meeting the Black Phoenix, and hopefully, learn what had happened with Madoc. Of course, Adam only assumed it was the Black Phoenix. He hoped it was her. He had encountered her a handful of times, each one pushing him further and further into the cause of the Black Crown. It was his greatest secret.

The soft breeze fluttered through the red and purple flower beds leading into the memorial site. The sweet scent wafted across the grounds, and Adam felt strangely euphoric as he neared the seven silver memorial pillars, all in a close circle, facing out. Adam stopped in front of the closest one. The pillar emanated a soft white glow. The upper half was an e.Veil screen, showing pictures and a vid montage of Prince Nikhil. Below was his name, engraved and glowing, with his military rank and years lived.

"You were trying to find the last descendants of the Daire family too," Adam whispered. "No one ever even thought of calling you a traitor." Nikhil grinned at Adam, and he shivered, uncomfortable with how similar the dead prince's grin was to Caelestis's.

Adam walked over to the next pillar. All the names were burned into his memory, he knew and recognized every picture and cinema sequence on the pillars. He had watched them long enough over the years. He circled the memorial, waiting for the Black Phoenix to arrive. Withe very whisper on the wind, he glanced towards the black skies, but there was no soul in sight.

The silver trees glowed in their sporadic places amongst the other tombstones and graves, and while sometimes Adam wondered whether she was within its shadows, he had a feeling that she would approaching from above. This was fine, almost preferable. Adam had always liked watching her fly.

When Adam reached Nikhil's pillar once again, he almost swore out loud in shock. Standing next to it, in front of Sullivan Murphy's pillar, was a tall hooded figure who held a sorry looking bouquet of flowers. The man reached inside his coat and took out a large flask, taking a large swing before pouring some out in front of the pillar.

"Sorry, bro. I know you hated this brand in particular, but it's all I have today. Drink up, Sully. Cheers." The man stretched, yawned loudly, and drew back the hood. 

Adam saw that his hair was a shaggy dark brown. The left side of his rough face had a strange glint. When he turned around, he did not seem at all surprised to see Adam. "Hey. Sorry I'm late."

Adam took in a deep breath. "You're here to meet me?"

"Disappointed?"

"No—sorry—just thought I'd be meeting—you're with the... you're part of..."

"They call me Dog."

Adam looked towards Sullivan Murphy's pillar again and then looked carefully back at Dog. The two men looked exactly the same. It was obvious that this was Sullivan's twin brother who had disappeared soon after the massacre. Ryan Murphy was often called the Lost Reflection of Irela.

"Dog," Adam repeated, nodding his head. "Nice to meet you."

A grin spread across Ryan's—Dog's—face. "I like you." 

Dog took out a thin silver chain from around his neck. At the end of it dangled a clear jewel in the shape of a fang. It shone from the moonlight. Adam's heart skipped a beat.  "You passed your first little loyalty test, bringing Madoc to us. Now that we know you're serious about joining the Black Crown, we have something a bit more high stakes." Dog drew it over his head and held the fang out towards Adam. "It's for you."