Chapter Eleven: Reflection Night

The Glass Palace, nestled within the mountains of the Irelyn bluffs, shone like the sun against the dark, snowy night sky. 

Madoc and his mother were quiet during their ride to to the palace. Madoc had spent the last few hours worried about Caelestis, worried about the Black Phoenix. He had seen the terror and chaos amongst everyone in the stadium. He had felt it, himself. 

Now, his father, Knight-General Dhillon, was coordinating a last minute assessment on the security on the city. White Crown Soldiers were being posted as well as police and military personnel. The Reflection Day Address had caused a surge of activity in many ways.

Madoc scrolled his d.Eye. Still no response from Caelestis. She had not even been online for the past few hours. He suspected the king had blocked her engagement.

"Madoc," Sora said gently.

He looked up at her. Her expression was inquisitive.

"Did you know about Caelestis's speech?" 

His heart jumped a little. "No," he said truthfully. "I'm a little insulted that she didn't tell me." 

Sora nodded her head, slowly, thinking. She peered out the window into the blackness of the night. "I see." 

"What do you think about it?"

"Oh, well," Sora said, fussing with her silver clutch. "I think..." she trailed off. "I think Caelestis cares deeply about the truth and about justice, and about setting things right. But some things are hard to reconcile without tearing out the foundation." 

Madoc's chest felt tight. He took a deep breath. Sora glanced at him and gave him a short smile and placed her hand over his. "Don't worry. Everything is going to work out fine."  

They drove past the cemetery and memorial gardens and soon reached the Hall of Prayers where the palace car slowed. Madoc could hear the ocean from inside the palace car and it comforted him. 

When the palace car reached the great doors, an attendant opened the door and assisted first Madoc's mother, then himself. The guards scanned their d.Eyes, though Doctor Sora Dhillon had been the primary imperial physician since Madoc was twelve years old. 

Music emanated from palace as they approached the main entrance. The main atrium was decorated with portraits and alters dedicated to the Seven Reflections of Irela. From Amaka Alitza all the way to Abigail Williams, there were cards, bouquets of flowers, candles, and other small sentiments set just below them. There were green plants and carved animals under Nikhil's portrait; bright red tulips and baked goods under Abigail's; poetry excerpts and cinnamon flavoured chocolate under Sullivan's.

The chatter of people grew louder as they approached the reception hall. From the balcony, Madoc considered the sea of beautifully dressed guests. Across the way, a line up had formed in front of the throne dais to greet and pay respects to the imperial family. 

Madoc saw Caelestis, and his heart skipped a beat.

"Come, Madoc," Sora called. 

He tore himself away and rejoined his mother at the staircase. The herald bowed to them and then turned towards the crowd to announce their arrival. The HoloScreens showed them both.

"Presenting the esteemed First Physician, Doctor Sora Dhillon, Esteemed Guard of Irela and Protector of the Empire; and her son, WCP Captain Madoc Alistair Dhillon." 

As Madoc took his final step down the staircase, he felt a hand on his shoulder. Adam sidled up next to him, greeting him with his usual scowl. "Hey." 

"What's up, buddy," Madoc threw an arm around him. "Missed your good mood."

Adam gave him a dirty look, crossing his arms. His uncle appeared behind him and Madoc stood up a little straighter. "Good evening, Admiral."