Chp 2 : Unexpected Journey

[ 262 𝙰𝙲 // 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚁𝚎𝚍 𝙻𝚊𝚔𝚎 ]

The dead leaves rustled as he tracked through the dense forest floor. Gently, he weaved between the bushes and trees. While trudging through the forest, he kept his eyes on the ground, following a track. He finally stopped when he neared a clearing with a deer grazing at the center of it. Taking a deep breath, he took his bow and prepared to shoot.

*swoosh*

The arrow flew past the deer's head and into the bushes behind it. A scream was heard and he quickly ran to the bushes whilst unsheathing his sword. He held his sword to the throat of the man who was struck with the arrow. "Leave these woods. Your poaching is not welcome here, thief." He said slowly.

The thief trembled in fear and quickly ran away from him, leaving his equipment behind. The man shook his head and packed the thief's belongings
to take them back with him. "Live in peace friend, no harm shall come upon you." He pets the deer and continued with his way around the forest.

Hours passed and he finally finished his patrol in the forest surrounding his home, Fornost Erain. A keep surrounded by a village West of The Red Lake and the westernmost settlement of Gondor. Once he reached his home, he stored all his equipment and went inside. Cooking his dinner, he enjoyed his nightly rest with a hearty meal and a pipe to match.

Puffs of smoke billowed out the window of his home as he stared at the moon, lost in his thoughts. A knock from his door snapped him out of it, and he went to greet whoever was at his door.

His eyes widened at the man standing before him. "Mithrandir."

The man called Mithrandir smiled and nodded at him. Mithrandir is an elderly figure with a long and well-kept beard, clad in a majestic white cloak with a staff to help him move around. "It's nice to meet you again, Aragorn."

Aragorn stepped to the side and opened the door all the way. "Come in, Mithrandir. It's not befitting of a noble like you to be left outside a ranger's home."

Aragorn prepared themselves a pot of tea and took seats beside each other. "What brings you back at Fornost so soon, Mithrandir? Surely your trip to The Summer Isles lasts longer than a few months."

"My trips have been cut short by certain events, my friend. Have you heard the news yet?" The elder said whilst enjoying his pipeweed. Aragorn shook his head.

"The queen has given birth to a daughter."

"And what of it?"

"King Aerys wants to host a feast in her name. I want you to accompany me to attend it, my friend."

Aragorn sighed and shook his head. "You know that my place is here Mithrandir. Among the Dunedain, my kin. What good would it do me to travel to King's Landing?"

Mithrandir kept quiet, having no answer to that statement. They both savored the silence that grew from the unanswered question. Aragorn finished his cup of tea and talked to Mithrandir once more.

"Alright then friend, I shall accompany you on this journey. Consider it a favor from a friend." A hint of a smile flashed on Aragorn's face.

Mithrandir nods his head in appreciation. "in two days, we shall meet at Gondor's Gate House. From there our journey begins."

"Very well Mithrandir."

They bid their farewells to each other and the elder left his humble home.

‎‧₊˚✧✧˚₊‧

Aragorn wore his ranger outfit for the journey ahead. He wore a red jerkin below a blue shirt with a duster and a pair of braces with the symbol of Gondor above it all. He fastened his belt around the waist to tighten his brown trousers paired with leather boots. To complete his look, a cloak was worn on top of everything.