Chp 5 : Rescuing Betrayers

"Thorongil. My son's life is in your hands." Lord Edgar bid his luck towards the departing Aragorn and his son Hector.

Aragorn nodded and covered his face with the hood of his cloak. Hector hid his face behind the usual Dornish scarf. They walked silently across the hilly terrain and it was far away from Castle Yronwood before Hector spoke to break the silence.

"Isn't it hot with you wearing all those clothes?" He asked.

"A little bit of heat is something I'm used to, Hector. But we have been compromised." Aragorn revealed.

"Compromised?"

"There was a huge crowd seeing our departure. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them was a rat for the betrayers." The ranger elaborated.

"Damn it!" Hector cursed.

"Patience, Hector. Once we get to a secluded place, we'll exchange our outfits." He said.

"Aye, sounds like a plan." Hector nodded.

In a gully, further ahead than where they were before. Aragorn and Hector changed their clothes. Aragorn from his dark hooded ranger outfit to a more thin and lightly colored thawb and burnous with a litham as a mouth veil. Hector did the same and changed into a thawb and burnous, but it was olive-colored, slightly contrasting the sandstone.

Continuing their search, Aragorn and Hector ventured deep into the treacherous valley of Stoneway. Atop a ridge, overlooking most of the Stoneway, Aragorn was silhouetted by the bright Sun.

"Thorongil, what do your eyes see?" Hector asked from below.

"Swirling smoke comes from a cavern down South. If we keep our pace, we should be there by dawn." Aragorn said. He climbed down from the ridge and met up with Hector below.

"One of us needs to go back to Yronwood and inform your father. From there he will draw attention to them by delaying their negotiations. I should be there amongst his retinue to protect him when a fight eventually breaks out."

"Then you should be the one to inform my father."

"No, I have experience in sneaking and scouting. The risk is high for you to scout a safe way in." Aragorn argued.

"You said to find my path. This is my path, I'm forgiving them and risking my life to show how much I love them. To open their eyes to my sacrifice. Throrongil, I have to do this." Hector countered.

Aragorn sighed disapprovingly but relented in the end. "No time to argue, Hector. Stay safe and stay out of sight. Don't turn your back to the sky, it will make your silhouette visible and alert them of your position."

Hector nodded and Aragorn started to make his way back to Castle Yronwoon. Hector stopped Aragorn in his tracks with a questioning gaze. "How come you know all these things Thorongil? It's as if you've experienced it all before." Hector asked.

Aragorn looked and said. "I'm The Crown's representative, I have to know these things." With that, he turned his back and continued his track back to Castle Yronwood.

"Mother Rhoyne bless us." Hector prayed as he looked at the smoke rising to the sky.

‎‧₊˚✧✧˚₊‧

Nightfalls and Hector silently stalked the traitor's camp. Lying patiently and quietly, he scouts the entrance to the makeshift camp of the honorless knights. The camp wasn't huge perse, but a part of it was buried under the sandstone. Most likely a burrow from the native creatures here at The Red Mountain and they decided to make use of it.

'The entrance is highly guarded at all times. A shift always comes to their assigned position before the guards leave their posts. Multiple tents are also pitched around the entrance, practically making it impossible to even disguise myself as one of them. I have to move and find another opening.' Hector thought to himself.