Back To Basics

Alone in his apartment, Gran Torino would be opening a letter that came from his old friend, Toshinori. The news playing in the background as he read it, setting down a plate of good old Taiyakis.

"Greetings.

The air is warm here. It feels like summer is just around the corner. I hope this letter finds you well, sir. In good health and even better spirits. This semester, I took a position at U.A. High School. Heh. That's right. I'm now guiding the next generation of heroes." Conveniently, as he read the news showed a photo of U.A. High School in all its glory. 

"I was hoping to find someone worthy of inheriting my power among the elite students at the school. A hero-in-training with outstanding test scores and a powerful Quirk. However, before I ever began my tenure at U.A., I met a young man, Izuku Midoriya. Even though he was weak, and had no Quirk of his own, he showed incredible bravery. He rushed into a dangerous situation that caused pro heroes, including myself, to hesitate, and managed to save a classmate and his childhood friend.

He may not have had a plan when he acted, but he knew he had to do something. I feel like watching this young man spring into action taught me something that day, and it reminded me of the virtues I must embody in order to call myself a pro. A hero. That's why I meant it when I said to him... 'Young man, you, too, can become a hero.' Soon after that, I told this pupil the secret of my Quirk and proposed that I transfer it to him. This ability I have, that's been passed on from person to person, cultivated, and made stronger, the crystallization of power that binds itself to a courageous heart for the good of those in need. One For All.

He accepted without hesitation, and I began training him for the trials he'd need to overcome in order tobe accepted into the hero course at U.A. High School. Even though he sometimes struggled with his newfound abilities, he never stopped fighting, and gave 100 percent as he tried to harness One For All. I don't like to toot my own horn, but I believe I found the perfect person to pass my Quirk on to. He has showed me time and again that he has what it takes to be a real hero.

The day may come when I must trouble you, my old teacher. I am counting on you when that time comes.

Oh yeah, that childhood friend of his I mentioned earlier? He ended up finding out. Don't be alarmed though, I've actually been debating whether to let Midoriya tell him or not, since he's proven to be a very great man and Midoriya has spoken very highly of him, his actions and how he reacts to certain things backing it up. You should meet them someday, they remind me a lot of how I was once, albeit one of them having more colorful language, and Midoriya being if I was less confident in myself, but they mean well. 

They'll make fine heroes someday though, that I have no doubt of.  The two of these young men have brought me much hope for the future, the bond they share reminds me a lot of an actual brotherhood, and from what I've heard from the young man, that's almost exactly how it is. He vowed to keep that to himself and not tell anybody else, respecting the secrecy when it came to such a strong Quirk and understanding why his friend hadn't come to him sooner given the gravity of such a secret, even if it probably felt he wasn't trusted enough with it.

I'm still quite new to the role of instructor. The day may come when I must trouble you, my old teacher, for advice. I'll be counting on your wisdom and patience when that time comes. 

Until then, please take care of yourself as the seasons begin to change.

I'll continue to keep you updated about what's happening.

Sincerely yours."

Gran Torino spoke to himself as he scratched his back. "So, Toshinori has found a worthy successor, and already found a new ally within our inner circle."