Chapter 28

Timeline: Early 2000's

Suresh's POV:

I tapped away at my computer, trying to figure out the code for a new Bluetooth project. I had plugged in my earphone to listen to the radio channel 92.4 Chill FM which was playing some of my favorite songs, bringing me a sense of ease and nostalgia.

koi na roko dil ki udaan ko,
dil ye chala, aa..

The gears of my mind turned against the ticking time, grinding even as the energy levels were dropping. Beads of sweat ran down my forehead as I rechecked the console and the code for the third time now.

I was so focused on my work I didn't notice everyone leaving for tea time. I checked my phone. There was no message from anyone. I opened the messages app and scrolled through the messages and found the conversation between me and Maya. The last text was on her birthday when I wished her and she had said thanks.

It had been a while now, and I wondered if she still remembered me or she'd found someone else to hold hostage. 

I rubbed my thumb over the keys, wondering if I should text her and ask if she had any plans for coming over to visit her friends and if she missed me enough to visit me. I would be okay even if she didn't. She always made a good impression on people wherever she went, so I wouldn't be surprised if she..

A sudden cooling sensation touched the back of my neck, sliding down my spine and creating a literal chill down my spine. It must've been an ice cube from what it felt like, but, who could've done this?

I looked around in confusion. There was no one around. Everyone had left for tea and I was the only one sitting at my desk.

Odd.

I looked up trying to figure out if the pipes for AC had leaked, causing this effect but, there was none. I got up from my desk to inspect the piping. The technician had just recently fixed the piping and it was possible that he had left some area unattended accidentally.

Upon finding no evidence of pipe leakage, whatsoever, I got down from the chair and cautiously started to walk out when a pair of hands covered my eyes and blocked my vision.

I froze in my place, trying to feel the hand and figure out who put their hands over me. My hands traced until it sensed a familiar shape. I traced around it and a smile formed on my lips.

I pretended to be scared as the person led me towards the staircase where we could have a little privacy.

"Maya!" I squealed excitedly as I wrapped her in an embrace.

She was taken back in surprise but returned the hug hesitantly as she let out a hearty chuckle.

Letting go of her, I asked, "I missed you so much, where in the world have you been?"

"Busy with work," she said as she let go of the breath she'd been holding, "But, I managed to get a week's leave, thanks to my skills to get around HR." she swirled her hands when she mentioned skills, making me wonder if she played a prank on the HR too.

"Don't tell me you locked them up in your basement.."

"Nah," she dismissed me, "That's silly. I promised them a month's token of dhokla if they let me go on leave. It was a tough negotiation, but being the Notorious V I am, its paid too." she grinned.

Her warm smile flowed through me, erasing away all the negative thoughts that flowed through me and made me feel at ease again.

"I wanted to pull you out of your office cubicle in front of you colleagues but figured it would be better to surprise you with a little.. kidnapping." she winked at me.