Chapter 5.1

Thomas sat in a black BMW. The seats were leather, and the radio was silent. Thomas was in the driver's seat, wearing his work suit. His left hand held the wheel, his right held his mother's coffee mug.

His eyes were wide, and his right hand shook slightly, "fuck..."

It was barely a whisper when the word escaped from his mouth. But he still put the car in motion and went to work.

Thomas stood at the counter of the coffee shop he used to go to with Cass.

"Coffee for Thomas," the barista called, setting the cup down. Thomas grabbed it, and a few other things from the table and walked away.

On the way out, Thomas bumped into a man. He looked homeless. Ragged clothes, a scraggly beard, and a nasty look in his eye. A normal homeless man, or so Thomas thought. He didn't know it was the homeless man that the Joker brought to the Mad Hatter. The Test Subject.

Thomas felt his pockets, making sure nothing was stolen from them. And he stepped back onto the sidewalk, sipping his coffee.

A scream echoed behind him. Thomas looked back into the coffee shop. A table flew across the window, smashing through the glass and coming to a stop at Thomas' feet.

The tables to the left were half knocked over, and filled with people hiding underneath. An older woman was knocked on the ground, and kids were running around screaming.

A few people scattered out the window, and through the snow storm of napkins and the screams of people he saw what was happening.

That homeless man was yelling at the barista at the register, just standing there and yelling while she fumbled to get money out of the register.

Thomas sighed, taking a drink from his coffee before tossing it behind him into a trash can. He stepped into the window, looking down at the woman. She had long dark hair, and a white blouse on. She nodded at him that she was okay.

Thomas slowly inched closer to the man, picking up one of the metal travel mugs for sale in a basket by the line divider.

He approached, the man didn't see him. Thomas lifted the chrome travel mug and slammed it against the man's head. It crumpled under the force, but the homeless man was unfazed.

He turned around and looked at Thomas. He had brown eyes, shaggy gray hair under his aviator cap. And his face, black veins glowed under his skin, originating from his eye sockets.

Thomas' face dropped, "fu-oof"

The man slammed a fist into Thomas' stomach. He flew backwards, flying into a wall twenty feet away.

Thomas hit the wall, sliding down on one of the booth style benches against the wall, knocking down a table. He didn't scream though.

He just coughed once, holding it behind closed lips while he pushed himself to his feet.

"You're Thomas Wayne," the attacker realized as Thomas got to his feet.

"Unfortunately," he sighed, gathering himself.

He ran forward, seeing the man run at him, arms wide open. He slid under the left arm, the smooth fabric of his slacks allowing him to slide well.

He popped up by the broken window, looking as the man turned around, the black veins in his face growing darker. He raised his hand, and Thomas saw a flash of red by the man's thumb. A detonato-

BOOOOMMMMM!

A bomb went off behind the counter and Thomas was hit by the exploding pieces. He was sent flying back, right out the window.