Chapter 2.2

Damian looked into Thomas's eyes with a fear Thomas had never seen the boy wear.

"Okay, here's what we're gonna do," Thomas said.

Metallic clangs echoed through a dimly lit room. A single figure stood at a table, hammering a sword over an anvil.

"You're gonna go back to the League and buy me some time. Try to convince them to wait as long as you can."

That man's identity was unrecognizable, as the lamp on the table only lit his work. And a welding mask covered his face as he worked. But there were other things laying about, too.

The disassembled parts of a gun, boxes of ammo, magazines. Two gauntlets, a laptop, a leather jacket, a sewing machine, and some pieces of metal.

"And I'll start rallying the troops here. But I swear, Damian…"

A tool box and other bits of fabric and gear that were unrecognizable in the dim light laid there as well.

"If things get too much, run. Figure out a way to get to me and I'll get you out, I promise. But play the double agent as long as you can, and I can get us out. I just need time to sharpen my edge."

Damian nodded back on the roof, "Okay, okay. I think I can do that."

"Stay strong, Damian. We'll get through this, I promise."

"Thank you, Thomas. It means more than you know."

Damian walked off and a panicked look crossed Thomas' face. He took off running.

***

Jason was sitting with Cass, Steph, and Tim in the living room.

"Does Thomas seem okay to you?" Cass asked.

Jason shrugged, "What can we expect? Things have changed, he's not the boy we used to know."

"Yeah, he grew two feet and enough hate for two men," Steph added.

"It's not uncommon though, you had a full emo phase when you came back, Jason," Tim said.

Jason looked at Tim disapprovingly, "I did not. I had a mafia phase, there's a difference."

Heavy footsteps approached, as if someone was running into the house from the door. And someone was, Thomas slowed to a stop as he came into the living room.

"Thomas, what's wrong?" Jason asked.

The boy straightened, looking around at his siblings, "we're fucked."

***

That night, Nightwing was walking with Gordon to a meeting. He was wearing his first gen suit, as he hadn't repaired the one from last year. This suit was thin, and didn't offer much protection. But it was all he had in the moment.

 But it was all he had in the moment