Chapter 16 - Conflicted

REVISED

• • •

You clenched your stomach, not even bothering to say anything before sprinting to the bathroom. Vienna's eyes widened, quickly following after you to make sure you were okay.

Five minutes later, there you were, feeling guilty and hungover, throwing up in her marvelous bathroom. She sat beside you, holding up your hair like any good friend would do.

Except—you two weren't exactly 'good friends'.

You felt the mascara running down your cheeks from tearing up at how disgusting you felt right now. Not just physically, but mentally as well.

Vienna had that same concerned look on her face just as she did earlier during the party. You looked up for a moment, thinking that you might've managed to get all of the alcohol out of your system. You paused and sat back, feeling Vienna let go of your hair. She sat there with her hands in her lap, genuinely worried. "You okay?" she asked.

You nodded in response, feeling a noticeable sense of relief washing over you. The heaviness that had been weighing you down earlier now seemed to have lifted. Thank goodness you managed to purge all those pent-up emotions, or else you would have been battling a wave of nausea throughout the night. "I think so," you replied, your voice tinged with a hint of lingering uncertainty.

The silence between you two began to thicken, creating an almost palpable tension in the air. You sat there with a lost expression on your face, your thoughts scattered and unfocused.

Vienna seemed to take notice of your disorientation and made an effort to continue the conversation she had started before you got sick and rushed into the room. She took a deep breath, her eyes searching yours for a connection, and resumed her train of thought, determined to break through the awkward silence.

"So, um.." she started, looking down at her hands in her lap. Something about sitting on the floor was comforting, even if was on the surface of the marble flooring.

You wanted to comfort her, and tell her all was okay, but with all the words jumbled up in the back of your throat, you could barely even utter out a single word.

Vienna fidgeted with the gold rings adorning her fingers, twisting them nervously. "I don't know," she continued, her voice wavering slightly. "I guess I was just hoping that someone knew something... about why he decided to do all of this." Her eyes flickered with a mix of frustration and sadness, as if seeking answers in the patterns of the marble flooring beneath her feet.

You furrowed your eyebrows, feeling a pang of sympathy for Vienna. "He... never told me anything," you replied, noting the lost and distraught look in her eyes. Vienna let out a slight sigh, her shoulders slumping. "I just feel like he wasn't being fully honest with me," she said, her voice tinged with doubt and a trace of hurt.

"He's always been honest, but this time he seemed way more reluctant with what he was trying to say," she added. "Of course I saw it coming, but I suppose it's the way he delivered it is what made me confused and a bit more hurt than I should be,"

You focused your gaze on her, "I don't think you did anything wrong," you said gently. "Sometimes.. things happen that are out of our control—and Jude is stupid for breaking up with you. It's his loss," you didn't think twice about saying that about him.

He wasn't a bad person, and you knew Vienna was aware of that. However, his sudden decision to break up with her felt so off. You didn't know much about their relationship beyond what you had observed on the surface, but everything had seemed and looked fine. The abruptness of it all left you feeling just as puzzled as she was.