Chapter 3

Draco and Dante were kind enough to help bring Adal to the infirmary. However, Trevor walked away without a passing glance. I still don't understand why they hold a grudge against one another.

I sit in a waiting room, nervously fiddling with my thumbs.

- It's my fault he's here. But he didn't seem like he was in that much pain earlier, I say in my head.

- Kira, you can come in now, the nurse says. I jump out of my seat and rush into the next room. Adal is sitting on a bed with a bandage wrapped around his chest.

- He has some minor burns that were luckily easy to treat. And it appears the curse has worn off, so there isn't much else to worry about. He'll be good to go within a couple of days, the nurse says.

- Thank you for fixing him up, I say. The nurse bows her head and steps out of the room.

- Why are you staring at me like that. I told you I was fine, Adal says. While he averts his gaze from me, he mutters something.

- It's too easy for humans to show their weakness, Adal mutters.

- You could have told me you weren't feeling well, and I would've walked you over here, I say. He refuses to look at me or speak.

- If only I knew that you were struggling this much, I mutter. Finally, his head turns slightly.

- Stop beating yourself up. It's over and done with, Adal says.

- There you are, Rey says. Rey walks in with a furrowed brow.

- I'm glad you're unharmed, Kira. I know things would be much worse if you happened to get hurt, Rey says.

- I owe it to Adal for saving me, I say.

- How are you, Young Master, Rey asks.

- Good as new, Adal says.

- Only a minor scuff, I see. You'll have to tell me who did this. They will be expelled at once, Rey says.

- I wasn't able to put a name to their faces. To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen them before, Adal says.

- Hmm. I'll check if anyone else has seen any suspicious activity in the dorm. Also, Kira. I don't want you to feel unwelcome just because some immature demons decided to pick on you. This is a one-off occurrence. It will not happen again, Rey says.

- Umm, got it, I say.

- Draco wants you to visit Metamorphosis when you have time. It's outside, when you step out of the infirmary, take the exit to the right, Rey says.

There are creatures of all kinds interacting with each other as if they were people.

- It's like I'm in the middle of a magical zoo, I say in my head as I look around.

- Hello, Princess, Draco says. Draco bows his head to me when I approach him.

- Welcome to Metamorphosis, Draco says.

- So, this is a dormitory, I ask.

- It may not look like it, but yes. In Metamorphosis, we train and practice the art of shapeshifting. All familiars have a main form we take that represents our truest selves, Draco says. I blink, looking at my surroundings in awe.

- Wow. What's the animal you relate to the most, I ask.

- I decided to be a snake. Snakes represent healing, wisdom, and protection. Aspects I've always felt in tune with, Draco says.