Chapter 1

I still can't believe this. Reaching into my pocket, I pull out the invitation I received just days before. An application after application, I managed to snag a spot in one of the most prestigious academies in the country. Though, I don't recall applying to this one.

- Mom was sad to see me go, but I told her many times that I'd visit. And if dad were around, I'm sure he'd be proud of me, I say in my head. I stand on the sidewalk, looking to my right, then to my left. The school said they'd send someone out to pick me up.

- Oh, is that them, I whisper. A luxurious black sedan pulls up in front of me. The driver gets out of the vehicle and opens the back door.

- For Darkfire Academy, correct, I ask. The driver silently nods and packs my suitcase into the trunk of the car.

After closing the door, I peer out of the window, wondering about how my first day will go.

- It's a pretty chilly day, isn't it, I ask. I try to make small talk, but it's no use. The driver just flashes a smile in the rearview mirror and returns his attention to the road.

- Huh. I don't remember having to take a tunnel to the school, I say in my head.

- Um, sir. I think you missed a turn, I ask. I'm met with only silence. At this point, I'm feeling uneasy.

- None of this looks familiar to me at all, I say in my head.

Once we emerge from the tunnel, an extravagant building awaits us on the other side. As I take in the view, the car pulls up to the school's entrance. It looks a lot different than I saw in the pictures.

I step out of the car, finding myself baffled by the building's eerie, gothic facade while

the driver brings me my suitcase.

- Are you sure this is the, I ask. But before I can finish my sentence, the driver takes off.

- Welcome, Princess, to Darkfire Academy, a voice says.

- Did. Did he just say princess, I ask in my head. Not wanting to make anything else awkward, I decide to just go with the flow.

- Thank you. It's an honor to be here, I say. I turn to see an attractive, well-dressed young man standing in front of me. His appearance alone is enough to take my breath away.

- I, um. You can call me Kira, I say.

- Wait, are those. Horns, I yell in my head. Upon further inspection, they seem to be coming out of his head.

- Those have to be fake, I say in my head.

- Sorry, but I have to ask, is dressing up like that your way of welcoming new students, I ask.

- What, the man asks. The peculiar man steps forward and leans in with his face mere inches from mine.

- Wait. You're human, he asks in shock.

- Of course, I am. You know what, I think there's been some mistake. I should go, I say. His expression changes completely. The man glares at me, as if he is about to attack.

- Yeah, no. I don't like that look, I say in my head. My body goes into panic mode, and I waste no time running away.

- Where the hell do you think you're going, the man yells. Without hesitation or much thought, I make my way to a nearby treeline.

I take a moment to catch my breath. Looks like I'm out of sight, but which direction should I go now.

- My instincts tell me to go left. I hope my gut feeling will get me out of this mess, I whisper.