11

"Seems the pills have been a lifesaver. Especially in the Anbu division," Tsunade commented as they reviewed the statistics. Six months in Kagerou proved his worth. "How he kept up with this much demand alone is a mystery but he did run an operation on his own."

"I heard from Minato that he's taken Obito under his wing as an apprentice," Orochimaru hummed. "The Uchiha has improved a massive deal, he isn't the dead last anymore and has put Kakashi on the ropes." 

"I've seen the fights, it seemed Kagerou knew what Obito needed and gave it to the boy," Jiraiya sighed a bit. "Team Minato has been soaring since Kagerou joined in on their team meetings. Even though they are Genins they've been blasting through all the C-rank missions and gearing up for the Chunin Exams." 

Hiruzen listened in quietly as his students did the talking. He would let it go for now about planting someone near Kagerou. It didn't seem like he had one foot out the door. He penned his thoughts for another meeting. For now, recovering from the war was the priority. 

In a training field nearby Kagerou tilted his head as he watched Obito go through his Taijutsu form. Kakashi and Rin were watching on the sidelines in awe. When Obito was done Kagerou clapped. "I think you're ready for a real katana," He praised as Obito ran up to him. 

"Then that means my form is impeccable," Obito grinned as Kaegrou nodded. 

"I don't have the scroll on me now but when we get home I'll let you choose from my collection." 

"I get to choose from your collection," Obito had stars in his eyes. 

"Of course, these are all the blades I've used since I could hold one," Kagerou ruffled his hair a thoughtful expression on his face. "You're my son not just my apprentice." 

Those words had Obito in tears. He was a boy who had no one in his clan to spare him a glance. Sure he had Minato-sensei and Kushina-san but they could only go so far. Kagerou was the only one to have him one on one. To carry him places and buy him things he wanted. He had even gone to bat for him to move in with him and Minato-sensei when the clan was up in arms. He had been disowned but he hadn't cared because that meant he could be in a space that cared for his needs. 

Kagerou was his favorite.  Kagerou didn't see him as a charity case but as an extension of him. He wanted to make Kagerou a proud father and he would do anything to get there. So he trained, whereas he trained without purpose he now trained to show everyone that Kagerou was amazing.  That he didn't see Obito as a failure. "You can't say things like that." 

"I only speak the truth," Kagerou shrugged and hugged him. "My son?" 

"Your son," Obito mumbled into his chest. 

"Alright let's get some lunch," Kagerou patted his back as Obito dried his tears. 

*********

"You got our first child," Minato remarked after leaving Obito's room after talking to him. "I feel all fuzzy inside." 

"Obito is special to me," Kagerou mumbled as he took another swig of whiskey. 'He is the key to breaking Kushina's hold on Team Minato. Obito is the emotional one of their group. He's sensitive to bad auras and energy.'

Because of this Kagerou had to rid himself of that jealous energy when he thought about Kushina. If Obito trusted him then whatever badmouthing Kushina would do shortly would just bury her. Kagerou was Obito's guardian, he didn't overstep the boundaries Kakashi and Rin had put up. He was casual and laid back, focusing on the person he had a bond with rather than forcing himself into Kakashi and Rin's circle. He knew they respected him for it too. So to see Kushina bashing him when Kagerou had been nothing but kind and respectful would be painting herself black and probably have Obito spitting venom. 

He chuckled to himself as he finished his glass. "I never thought I would set down roots. If anything goes wrong I'm kidnapping the both of you and running." 

While it was said in a joking tone Minato could see that Kagerou's gaze was serious. He would kidnap them if things went south. Minato was touched that Kagerou would go this far but as future Hokage, he would ensure that Kagerou never felt as if he had one foot out the door. He would create a safe space for his family. 

Obito glanced at the blade he had chosen from Kagerou's collection he hadn't expected his father to say any blade was on the table. It was a rather expensive one, blood red. It was a self-healing blade. It repaired itself by using the blood of enemies. Kagerou didn't even seem surprised that Obito still went for it when he knew the history associated with it. 

"Aren't you concerned?" Obito asked. 

Kagerou shrugged. "As a shinobi, it's either your life or the enemy's life. If you want to live you will cut them down. Just don't die out there. I'm waiting for you at home along with Minato and your friends. Don't hesitate." 

Obito took those words to heart he wouldn't be hesitant. He had family waiting for him now.