27. TRUST

Prisha's POV

Sitting quietly in my office, waiting for this day to pass wasn't what I expected to do when I woke up.

It seems like a wake up call though. I was living in a dream and this morning managed to wake me up. I wasn't aware I could be so delusional but I guess I don't know myself as well as I thought I did.

Maa looked like she wanted to cry but wasn't sure if she should cry, baba was angry, I don't think it's warranted. This was one of the reasons I hadn't wanted to tell them then. I was the fool, he hadn't made any promises.

My baby had no idea what was going on but he still understood something was different. He made no protests as I left him this morning, just gave me small smile with a kiss on my cheek before waving bye to me.

It's good though, the princess matches his status more than a widow like me. It's not that I'm degrading myself but I just know my worth. He deserves something equal to him, to stand shoulder by shoulder without any hint of cowardice.

There wasn't even anything between us right? We just kissed once. He must've kissed tens of girls if not hundred, I couldn't be any special. I knew I wasn't special but then why is it that my heart hurts so much.

I didn't even like him right? I only thought I did but why does it feel like someone managed to crush even the pieces left of my heart.

The pieces I thought were already devoid of feelings are throbbing so hard that it's impossible to bear.
It can't be a consequence of just a like, can it? I know it can't. I know it isn't.

I also know why it hurts so much but if I admit the reason then it'll only justify how much of a fool I had been. I can still say that it's no big deal but once I admit what I felt, I'll crumble.

Six weeks, that's how long I knew him and he still managed to burrow himself in so deep that he managed to shake the parts of me that even I wasn't aware of.

I was surprised when I didn't receive a call last night but today I knew why I didn't. He had no more need of me, he had a fiancèe. And it's good, it's good that he himself stopped, I wouldn't have been able to take another betrayal.

He's engaged, it's good for him. And he even stopped calling so as to not mislead me. He's a good man. I wish him well, he deserves it. Just like I deserve to be unaffected.

Then why are you crying if you are not affected?

I... My hand went to my cheek and when it came down, it was wet. I was crying, I don't even know when I started crying. Why am I crying? I have no reson to cry. I shouldn't cry.

No matter how much I tried to stop or how much I wiped those tears my cheeks still remained wet. So I let them flow, I told myself it'll be the one and only time I'll allow myself to feel this and I let it go.

It was calming, the tears automatically stopped when they couldn't find anymore reason to flow. I washed my face in the ensuite bathroom before going back to my desk.

I have work to do and I don't have time to waste on thinking nonsense. Looking at the time I saw it was exactly when he said he would arrive two days ago. Had this morning not happened, I would be on the airport waiting for him. But that's not possible now. He's found his princess.

It was an hour later when the door to my office opened, without even knocking or any introductions the person barged in but when I looked up to the see the person all the words seemed stuck in my throat.

" You said you'll pick me up. " He said as he dropped the bag onto the floor. He looked disheveled as if he hadn't gotten a minute of rest before rushing here. It might be true though.