Chapter Eight: A New Age

The New Emerald City Stadium's holding tunnel was quiet. The HoloScreen barrier shimmered at the entrance muffling any noise from the other side. On the other side of the translucent barrier, Madoc could see hundreds of White Crown soldiers, along with police and military officers in the field, gathering into formation. In the seats were thousands of civilians, all having spent a competitive price to attend the eight Reflection Day Address, especially after this morning's Solemn March, where Caelestis had altered the traditional protocol.

None of the captains had thought too deeply of the consequences. But when they had returned with Caelestis to the palace, Madoc had seen the anger and upset with the imperial family. Caelestis had been whisked away at once, and the rest of the captains sent home. They had all wondered what was to happen. Caelestis had not responded to any messages. 

The eight of them waited, in uniform, for their Head Captain, not knowing if she would be there to lead them through the stadium. 

"Our girl might be done for, eh?" Reiko finally said, her voice echoing through the tunnel.

"Don't say that," Elaine replied.

"Any word?" Raheem asked.

Madoc shook his head as the rest of them turned to him. "Not yet," he said, his chest tightening. He took a deep breath. "But let's not lose steam. What could possibly stop her?" 

Half them looked pacified, the other half uncertain. 

Kush pointed her finger toward Madoc. "Could you... do you think you could..."

"All right, I'll try calling her again," Madoc said, and the others sighed breaths of relief. "It isn't like I haven't tried, you know."

"We know, we know," Cornelius said, pacing. "But we don't want to overload her. Better for it to come from one person. Her main person. Her right hand man and command—"

Eiji gently put his hand on Cornelius's shoulder to politely ask him to shut up.

Madoc flipped his left wrist over and touched his d.Eye, the black obsidian globe connected to his watch. Caelestis was his last call anyway, so he didn't have to search far. Just as he was about to submit a call request, the far doors opposite the stadium opened.

Caelestis, in her Head Captain's uniform, made her way briskly towards the captains, with a small entourage of knights-imperial behind her. She wore no crown, nothing to indicate she was the First Heir of the empire or Princess of Irela. Now she was simply—however simple it could be—the Head Captain.

"Thank Ranaki," Kush exclaimed, and Reiko trumpted around with joy and relief.

"I thought she was going to be on lockdown at the palace," Adam said to Madoc under his breath. 

"Bad optics," Madoc responded. 

Adam nodded jerkily. "She's playing riskier games lately."

Madoc couldn't help but grin. "She's winning them too." 

"Sorry to keep you all waiting," Caelestis said as she reached them. 

"Get lost," Reiko told knights-guard. "She's with us now." 

"We don't answer to you," the main guard replied. "Nor to the Crown Princess," he added with emphasis. Caelestis rolled her eyes at this.

"Ignore them," Caelestis said. "This is where they stay behind." 

Madoc glanced at the knight-guard. Whenever Caelestis would push the boundaries placed around her, her father would have a knight-guard assigned to keep her under control. There were times where this was a great injustice and obstruction. There were times where it didn't stop her in the slightest. Today, she didn't seem bothered at all.