Chapter 4

Eretria buried her face in her pillow as giant tears got soaked in it. Her body shook as she tried to hold back her sobs. She wasn't one to cry easily but this one got to her. The fact that everyone, including Roman, was so calm about it sent her into another wave of sobs.

She heard the knock on her door  it didn't bother to say anything. If only they'd go away.

The door opened. Damn, she had forgotten to lock it. Footsteps approached her bed but she didn't raise her head. She probably looked like a mess.

"Go away." She said in a hoarse voice when she felt the edge of her bed sink.

"I will but I'm a bit curious." Wil said.

Why would she want to satisfy his curiosity? He could take it to hell for all she cared.

"You know what this alliance is about right?"

She raised her head in anger. Was he here to rub her wounds?

"You're horrible." She said. "Leave."

"I will if you let me explain." Wil said, staring into her puffy eyes.

"Explain? What do you want to explain? The fact that father is marrying me off to that man who's first son can birth me? Or the fact that no one has any issue with it?!"

An amused look crossed his eyes and he fought the corner of the lips from turning into a smile. He shook his head.

"You can't even deny it. You want me gone too." She got off the bed, staring down at him in contempt .

"No one wants you gone Eretria." He said.

"But I'm being married off."

" No you're not." Wil said with a shake of his head. "You clearly misunderstood father."

The look on her face dropped. Misunderstood? He had said it straight to her. There's no way she misunderstood that. "So who's being married off?" She asked, crossing her arms.

"No one." Wil almost laughed. A smile hung on his lips as he stood to meet her. "Father is forging an alliance with Mondrid and it has nothing to do with marriage. It's a trade alliance. He's been waiting forever to complete it and the king of Mondrid is coming here to finalize it. Then they'll be a ball in his honour and that of the alliance." He explained. "Which you would have known if you attended any of the meetings. Father keeps it open to everyone for a reason."

Eretria wanted to cry all over again. She bit her lower lip as her eyes darted across the room. "Then...why did he say it directly to me?" She asked, the anger in her voice had disappeared.

"Because he wants you to attend the ball."

That was it. What?! Her father wanted her to attend such an important ball. Wasn't he afraid she'd destroy it? Because that was exactly the reason why she didn't attend balls.

"W..what? Why?" Her voice was a whisper. She had been such a fool. Yelling like a mad person for something this good.

Wil shrugged. "You can ask him yourself."

He said as he watched Eretria turn different shades of red. Knowing Eretria too well, she knew the next minute she'd blame everyone for not telling her on time. Typical Eretria.

She buried her face in her palms and he could swear he heard her curse.

"I'll go now. You can speak to father when you're ready." He said and before Eretria could say anything, he left.

Hell no, she wasn't. Allowing her to attend one ball didn't mean they were okay. Did he plan on introducing her to another suitor?

She face palmed herself for the thought. "Enough of with that." She said as she went back to bed. She buried her face in the pillow ander out a frustrated scream which was muffled by the pillow.