Chapter 21

Eretria backed away from the mirror but the reflection remained, staring back at her, eyes slowly glowing, until she realized hers were too.

It crept up her skin like vines, winding it's way through her arms, neck, disappearing into her gown. It was like lava, spreading through her veins, only, it filled her every fibre. She fell on her knees, writhing in what was pain before a wave of power surged through her.

Yes. This felt right.

She had never felt like this, this powerful. It felt good. It felt right. But deep down, she could feel the burning sensation, a part of her fighting against the new energy coursing through her veins. Her hand flew to her neck, gripping the pendant which was sizzling against her palm.

The door bursted open. Her eyes went to Damion, the blue of his eyes darker than she had imagined. He took a step forward but she growled lowly, warning him to keep his distance. He might have paused for a moment but before she could think, he was behind her, his hand coming to hers on the pendant. His hand was cold against hers as he removed her fingers from the pendant, amidst struggling and pulled it off her neck.

As the pendant left her neck, she suddenly felt drained and slumped against him, her eyelid drooping.

He breathed heavily as he tossed the pendant aside, gathering her in his arms. She felt too weak to even raise a finger. One minute she felt powerful and the next, she was like a sack of potatoes.

Her body still felt hot but against him, she could feel the cold seeping through his shirt. Her eyes went to her pendant before moving back to his face, his eyes.

For a moment, she felt her eyes were playing tricks on her, but she could  see it. The reflection of another woman in his eyes.

The cold water was what woke her up. But just a little. Her mind was still foggy and could barely register her surroundings but she could register the cold water surrounding her. She was being placed into the water and it cooled her burning body. And she could also register the arms holding her, until they slipped away.

She reached out and grabbed the wet sleeves, her fingers feeling numb.

"Damion?" She called. Her throat felt dry and hurt as she talked.

He placed his hand on hers and carefully removed her hand from his shirt. "The maids will take care of you." He said and left the bathing house, cursing inwardly.

He wasn't safe her. There was too much trigger for her powers and he had seen it in just one day. She couldn't continue staying here. But why was he finding it hard to let go?

*-*-*-*

He snatched the pendant ouf of Ashton's grip as he walked to his desk.

Ashton gave him a crooked smile. "That was pretty unexpected." He said, walking up to the desk.

Damion ignored him, searching through his drawers for something.

"Don't tell me you're gonna put it away. She'd lose her mind without it." Ashton said.

"She's better off without it. For now." He took out a plain wooden box and placed the pendant in it.

"It's quite similar to one you used to have. Only, it was destroyed during the war. I thought that one was destroyed to." Ashton leaned against the desk. "Think it's time to finally meet Adeline."

Damion stared at the pendant before shutting the box. "Don't try anything stupid while I'm gone."

Ashton raised his hand in surrender. "Trust me, the last thing I want is to add to your troubles."

"I don't trust you. And you are one of my troubles." Tucking the box into his pocket, he teleported.

"I missed him?"

"Yup, he just left." Ashton said to Eva.

"I guess that elixir really does wonders." She said, leaning against the door. "I just hope he doesn't make the same mistake."

"That got me wondering why you brought her here." Ashton said and crossed his arms.

Eva gave him a wry smile. "I doubt you'll understand it." She said.

"Why don't you give it a try."

Eva scoffed and walked into the room which was somewhat like a study for Damion. This was where they could talk to him as no one was allowed in his chamber. "Why not? I'm giving Damion something he doesn't see the importance of. I definitely couldn't have left her in the forest even though she wouldn't have died and this is the only place where's she truly safe. Works both ways." She said with a shrug.

"No it doesn't. Is she actually safe here? You know just like everyone here."

"At least she gets to know more about her powers and can fully accept and access it. We need her that way."

"No we don't. Even Damion doesn't want her here."

"Yet, he's gone out his way to confront Adeline. What's your deal Ashton? I thought you wanted her here. Wasn't that why you kept visiting her?"

"You thought wrong then. I was only trying to piss Damion off."

Eva rolled her eyes. "Yeah, and almost got killed. We both know that wasn't your reason."

"What was it then? You seem to know a lot of things."

"You've always been against Damion's rule. I'm pretty sure you were happy when he brought this on himself. Too bad there isn't a clan to rule." Eva deadpanned.

"Eva." Ashton said through clenched teeth, warning her. "Mind your words."

"Everyone says I'm good with words. I always have to test that out."

Ashton was in front of her the next moment, inched away from her face.

"You don't scare me Ashton. Compared to Damion, you're a lot weaker. And he's already in the final stages of breakdown."

She turned on her heel but Ashton caught her arm. Gripping tightly, he slammed her back against the bookshelf, causing a few books to come tumbling down.

"Cut it out. Or take it somewhere else."

None of them turned to Rio. They kept glaring at each other but that was the farthest they could go. In Damion's present state, Rio was the strongest and divinities respected strength.

Ashton backed away from Eva who gave him a hard shove when he was steps away.

"If what I've said is untrue, you wouldn't be so affected." Eva said.

"Eva." Rio warned.

"I was just leaving." She said and stormed off. Rio followed her figure until she was out the door then he turned to Ashton.

"What are you waiting for? You too." He motioned towards the door. Ashton glared before heading for the door.

He pressed two fingers against the bridge of his nose. This had to end. Soon.

*-*-*-*

Hey beautiful people, enjoying so far?

Please please please please and please, when reading please drop a comment for this author. I really really love interacting with my readers and it's kinda sad that all I have are silent readers. But don't get me wrong, I really really appreciate you for reading this book. It has it flaws amd they're better stories from better authors to read and you choosing to read my story is bliss to me.

Like I said, I'll really love to hear-read- your thoughts on the book. Feedback surely helps me write better.

Have a blessed day

Loor you 😘